Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lt weight scope suggestions for LRH.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

WOW That little 3-18 is a brick!! With a great reticle and super glass.
The 2.5-10 IOR looks a lot more appealing than the Leupold=more field of View and lighter(if they are right about this one?)
A Sightron might work for you if you can live with 1/8th inch clicks,they track great but they tend to get a little fuzzy past 16x?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Have a look at the Leupold MRT in 2.5-8. Weighs one pound, tactical turrets, mildot or MLR reticle, absolutely reliable and accurate turrets, nice optics, five inches of eye relief. Put it in some MK4, Seekins or Badger aluminum rings and on an aluminum base, not too heavy at all.

I believe the MRT is the slickest hunting scope Leupold makes. Absolutely the nicest scope I use on lighter rifles.

Another wonderful hunting scope is made by U.S. Optics, 2.8-10 with a variety of reticle options, not a lightweight tho.

Also the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS is a great scope in the one pound range but it gives up a bit in really poor light in my experience. Extremely good turrets, very good glass but small objective.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

This is kind of on the subject. Does anyone have the exact weight of a USO 3-17 T-pal scope with a 30mm tube?

Thanks
Sherman
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

"Thus my step up to the IOR 3-18x42mm. I freakin love this scope, the optics, reticle, repeatability; except the advertised weight is 22 oz and the actual weight is 29. The weight brought my rifles weight upto 8lb 3 oz. Thus my reason to sell the IOR."

HUH? Are you kidding me? You love the scope, but are worried about 7 ounces of extra weight?

7 ounces? That's the difference in half a pint of water!

7 ounces? That's a candy bar and a half!

IF you truly love the scope, 7 ounces is NOT enough to make me get rid of it! I LOVE my Nikon tactical, I understand others haven't been as happy with theirs as I am with mine, but I wouldn't let it go if it weighed even a whole pound more than it does!

7 ounces just isn't enough to cause me to let go of a scope that I love!

On top of that, 7 ounces CAN make a HUGE difference in the way your rifle shoots. I hadn't realized this until somoene pointed out how much nicer is is to shoot a rifle with a scope vs. open sites. Try it, and watch how much sooner you decide to quit shooting without that nice inertial mass of scope sitting there to help dampen the recoil!

7 ounces just doesn't seem like it is enough reason to give up a scope you really like!!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

I thought the same thing about the weight of the 3-18 IOR...Till I bought it from him!
7oz is a lot of weight for a walking critter-getter! I put it on the flutted AR and could realy tell the difference in the handleing,it'll stay there for now but get moved to a heavy barreled 6br for long range prairie dogs off the bench. Might be just a mental thing but a light gun calls for a lite scope.I like my 6 IORs but they dont seam to stay on any of the sporters
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

I settled on a new Mk4 4.5-14x50 w/ TMR reticle. So far so good, until I lapped the new TPS rings a bit too much.:eek: I have a new set coming from Brownells tomorrow.

*****Hopefully**** heading to the Wrangells on 18 August for Dall and a Grizz if he will surrender peacably
Old 08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

If you want something good not heavy, then you should check out the Bushnell 6-24x40mm with side parallax and mil=dot reticle.
Bushnell 6-24x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope

For me it would be first the IOR, then the Bushnell Elite 4200