Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lt weight scope suggestions for LRH.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

Lt weight scope suggestions for LRH.

This past few months I have been on a quest to find a scope, suitable for my LRH needs. Thus my purpose of coming here to ask the members their opinions. My rifle, a Rem 700 in 30-06 Ackley Imp has a light weight theme. It used to weigh 6 lb 7 oz when it was a 22" 30-06 w/ Leupold M8 4x. Now, with a more powerful scope for LRH I'm trying to keep it under 8 lbs, preferably under 7.5 lbs. I tried the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 and the weight was acceptable but other things such as worrying about the repeatability was unacceptable to me. I never fully evaluated the Nikon but figured bigger was better. Thus my step up to the IOR 3-18x42mm. I freakin love this scope, the optics, reticle, repeatability; except the advertised weight is 22 oz and the actual weight is 29. The weight brought my rifles weight upto 8lb 3 oz. Thus my reason to sell the IOR.

I've looked at the Nightforce and US optics but that would only exagerate my weight dilema. The new Nikon Monarch X is not available yet. It would meet the 8lb criteria but not the 7.5 lb critera. I hear Nikon's cust service is quite lacking and lengthy.

Back to Leupold and either a 4.5-14 or 6.5x20. Undecided about a 40mm or 50mm obj lens. I realize the optics glass is not the same quality as the the European stuff. In a LRH situation, will the extra 10mm of obj lens diameter and 5 oz of weight make a differece in shooting big game out to say 800 yds, my self imposed limit? Is the Leupold repeatable and does it track well? Are the tough as nails? I'm plannng a Dall/Grizzly hunt for 2008 or 2009 and I sure don't need Murphy along for the ride!

Zeiss? Great optics but I believe their range of adjustment is lacking. How is their 30mm lineup?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

A common dilema. Everything's a compromise. I'd say your best bet is a Leupold. I may go a different direction in the future, but for now I cave into the sentiment below....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
I freakin love this scope, the optics, reticle, repeatability;
There are several other scopes from different brands I'm sure I'd also feel the above about but they all come with that weight penalty. Actually, the 3-18 will be the lightest of the bunch. For now, I'm willing to carry it.

I do try and save weight elsewhere. Switching from a steel base and standard Badger rings to an aluminum base and Seekins (even 6 screw!) saved me 6 oz. I'm really hoping Caldwel will finally make their titanium bipods as they look like they'd work well and the big one should save around 10 oz from the Harris I usually carry. I resisted the urge for a fatter barrel or heavier stock for my rifle....

Anyway, this is a common problem. I feel your pain. ;)
Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

i have a leupold vx-II ultralite that i have been tring to sell. its a 3-9X33 but its in nickle color. very very light. huntinfool18
Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Bronze Member

Have you looked at the Weaver Grand Slam's? I have several of them and couldn't be happier with the tracking and clarity.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

I would look at a Kahles 3-9 with TDS reticle or the Swarovski 3-10 or 4-12 with TDS.

Light weight and the TDS will allow shots to 600 plus without touching a knob.

Snipershide has a 4-12 Swarovski with TDS for $750 which is a great deal for a $1300 scope.

BH
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Guys, thanks for the suggestions, but I want to touch my knobs. Uh, I mean I want to crank my.....

You know what I mean!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Alan,

Best scope I have used for a light weight scope that works well for dialing up is the Leupold 3.5-10x 40mm Mark4 FFP. This is a very light scope for this class of scope. I believe its only 20 or 21 oz. I have one on my lightweight 7mm AM and it has worked extremely well.

I really like the FFP reticle as I can use the TMR reticle for hold adjustment and its consistant for all power ranges not just a single one like most other scopes made in the US.

Sure it is not as bright as some of the larger objective scopes but its plenty bright for any legal big game hunting situations. Used mine last fall to take 6 head of big game animals with a total of 7 shots fired. The one miss was my set up error, not the scope or the rifles problem.

Average range on those 6 critters was 628 yards with the farthest being 745 yards.

10x is plenty to shoot big game out to well past 1000 yards so do not get to upset about the power range. You can mount the scope very low to the bore which in a lightweight rifle is generally critical as stocks generally do not have overly generous CPs.

This would be my vote and if I need another scope to fill my needs such as this, it will be another Mk4 3.5-10x 40mm TMR FFP.

Only thing better would be if Leupold would get off their rears and make the same scope in a 4.5-14x 40mm in the Mk4 FFP.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com