Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Loopy or Zeiss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

B4, I prefer Leupolds: have 2 VXIII long range 30mm with side focus. Even on highest power, (20X) they have just enough eye relief to keep from tapping my eyebrow. One is on a .30 x .378 Wby, the other is on a .338 x .378 Wby. They have good glass from edge to edge, good range of elevation, strong tubes, and I've been told, good customer service. I also like that they are American made by an American company. I am presently trying to buy a LPS 4-14X. It has the best glass I've ever seen and holds 4" of eye relief at any power.

If you want to find out if you have enough eye relief, try belly shooting. One shot will do it.

I wouldn't choose a scope only because of eye relief, but it is a great tie breaker on a hard kicker.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Go with the S&B if you can spring for it -----I compete at 1k with the NF scopes. You could not run fast enough to give me a Loopy. Seen too many fail but I know many people love them but that is my opinion.

Personally, I am a big USO fan and own many but you are looking at around 2k or so..
Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

No I didn't get the scope yet. I talked her into more time. The reason I was gonna get the Vx-III or the Conquest is because I have a Buddy who works in a well known local gun shop. They only sell Bushnell, Leupold and Zeiss (and cheaper brands I wouldn't put on the Edge). He can get me one for his cost. And told my wife she didn't have to fork it all over at once. We are saving to buy or build her a new house when I get home and so a large portion of my pay goes straight into a savings account. When asked if one of those is the scope I really want, I said they would do for what we could pay for. She told me to get the one I really want....which is the IOR or NXS. They are almost double what I would pay for the others. Am I beeing too greedy? I almost want somebody to talk me down! But then again, those large knob IOR's are freaking bad-*****!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

B4

Hi Buddy, and a big thanks for protecting us all.

Let me tell you a story, I have been in this game now since I was 8 years old and to date I have owned:

More than 7 Gun cabinets
in exccess of 15 scopes (I have only ever had three full bore rifles)

These are just a few items that I have multi owned and now recognise I need to replace another 3 scopes that will cost me in excess of $5000.

Why:

Simply because I was too keen to wait until I got what I wanted/really needed and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket.

Had I got what I really wanted/needed I would not need to spend the next $5000 and I would have reduced my cabinet ownership down to about 3 and saved thousands selling things 2nd hand that I no longer need or was suitable.

You wife is absolutely right in what she's saying:

She told me to get the one I really want....which is the IOR or NXS.

So go get the IOR or NXS.

If you don't I'll bet you will in a year or two, cos thats what I'm going thro even today:o

They are a lot of money, but the best costs and its true; spend the cash and cry only once, you will be saving in the long run believe me, I've cried alot

One final point; You have a custom made rifle by one of the reputed (only reputed cos I can't afford for Kirby or Shawn to build me a custom rifle and so i have no direct experience of these guys work) best gunsmiths of all time, your rifle and you deserve the best so "don't ruin the ship for an Ha'peth of tar"

HP
Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Bravo-4, you've come to the wrong place to be "talked down" from buying a cool new toy; It's kinda like going to a bar for marriage advise - you may only hear what you want to hear and not get a sane answer. So, take my advise for what is worth.

Of course your wife is going to say "get what you want dear" - you guys are in love. When she wants to put the house together you're going to say the same to her and that is going to put one hell of a strain on your relationship and finances - one of the two main reasons couples divorce.

Get the Lupy at cost and save your money - you're going to need it if you're building a new home for your lovely wife. It's going to cost you a lot of money - a lot more than you realize right now. The house, the kitchen appliance upgrades, the window coverings which will cost you same at two custom rifles, the carpet upgrades and new furniture your lovely wife is going to want for her new beautiful home. If you want a happy home (and who doesn't) you're going to have to make some adjustments.

The 30mm 6.5-20x50 Lupy is very nice scope; if you can get one for $ 600.00 you are a lucky guy. The cool Ior is going to run you $,1300.00 -

Save your money until after you build your house - and reloading room.

TAC

Last edited by TAC; 10-24-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: ...darn spell checkers.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Well guys, thanks for all the advise. I thought long & hard, I got greedy and ordered the SnipersHide specail order IOR 3-18. That was early October. They were supposed to come in last Nov. It finally showed up today. And.....DANG!!!! This is a pretty awesome piece of equipment. The rings and mount won't be in for another week so I won't be able to mount and shoot it till next weekend. Would I have been happy with the other two? Yes but just because I wouldn't know what I was missing!

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats Marc! I think you'll be very happy with it. Once you get some time behind it you'll be spoiled forever. The glass, the reticle, simplicity of FFP and Mil knobs, big ele knob, etc...next time you decide to upgrade it'll cost you a lot more as nothing less than a S&B or USO will do! ;) Fortunately that probably won't happen for a very long time, if ever.