Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Looking for Swarovski Z5 3-18 bt feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Looking for Swarovski Z5 3-18 bt feedback

Getting ready to purchase a Swarovski Z-5 3-18 bt. Is this a ffp or sfp and does that matter. Is their ballistic turret reliable? Own leupolds on all my guns and never had any issues. Are swarovski scopes reliable? Looking for pro's and con's.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for Swarovski Z5 3-18 bt feedback

it is a sfp scope. it does not matter for the scopes purpose since you are actually dialing for range.

i had one and it was great. i bought it for a wildcat round that i planned to hunt with. after getting the round and working with it i sold the scope because the round didn't drop enough at the ranges i shot it to warrent dialing. but absolutly no other reason. the scope is not cheap but its a pretty nice scope
Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

I assume you are looking at the Z5 3.5-18 because the Z6 is the 3-18. I have one of each. My Z6 is the BT and the Z5 is just the standard plex reticle. One of the interesting features of the BT for Swarovski is that it is limited to a single turn. That is fine if you don't need more elevation than the single turn will allow. If you are looking at shooting past 800 yards use the Swarovski ballistic computer and find out if your round will make the shot with the single turn of the turret. One way around that is to put a 20 moa mount on the system, but with the limited Swarovski elevation range you will be near the bottom of the range. So, take a look at how far you will be shooting, determine your true muzzle velocity (measure it) and decide if you will be able to get where you want with the single turn of the turret.

Having said that, I love it. I have the Z6 3-18 BT Plex on my FN SCAR-17s .308 and it puts the bullets right at the range I want them. Since the SCAR has a 16" barrel I don't expect to be using it regularly past 700 yards. And that is just about where the muzzle velocity puts me with the scope and the BT. I have a Zeiss on my Savage Model 10 .308 because I want the elevation to take me out to 1000 yards. So, if you do the math and you can live with the elevation limits, you won't find a better BT system.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM

Is there a big difference at dark between the Z5 and the Z6.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyx View Post
Is there a big difference at dark between the Z5 and the Z6.
I'm sure that the term "big" is going to be interpreted differently by everyone reading this.

First, the 3.5-18X44 Z5 has a smaller objective than the 3.0-18X50 Z6. So, right off the bat the Z6 lets in more light. Second, the Z6 has the HD glass in it.

So, to answer your question I went out in the dark and took out both scopes and looked at a neighbor's house about 100 yards away. They have a porch lamp and under that I can see equally well with both scopes. Down about 50 yards more, another neighbor still has their Christmas lights up but no porch light. The lights are hanging in a tree. I can see the lights with the Z5 but the tree is a blur. With the Z6 I can see both the lights and the branches and pine needles around the lights. I then swung back to the neighbor with the porch light and started looking away from the light. There is a section of the garage that is not directly lighted by the porch light and I can see the roof as well as the shingles with the Z6. With the Z5 I can see the roof but I can't make out the shingles.

The answer is that I know in daylight ther is no difference in brightness in them but the images have more contrast and better resolution in the Z6. Everyone I have had look through them has been able to tell which is the better image even though they are both equally bright.

I hope that helps. I don't know if I would call being able to see the shingles a big difference or not.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks for info. I think I'm going to go with the Z5. Trying to keep it as light as possible. Someone posted on here that they talked to factory and the Z5 and Z6 use the same quality glass. Don't know if its true or not.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

The Z5 and the Z6 use different glass in the higher power series. The Z6 5-30 uses HD (flouride) glass and the erector is different. They also use different coatings. However, the Z5 is an outstanding scope you will not be disappointed.