Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

I second the comment that a scope with a max of 10x will get it done. I would get a leupold with CDS turret, you already know your load and speed that should get you started. either a 3.5-10 model or the new vx6 3-18 which is available with a CDS turret.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Roy,

Just my 2cents I use a Leu. mark Ar on my rock river has turrets is very consistent once you get your ballistics figured out for it. It is in 6x18x40 I keep it dialed at 225 which lets me hold on from 100yds out to about 280 I can always hold at top of back from 300 to 350 if it is a longer shot than that I usually have plenty of time to dial exact. For the price $450.00 -$475.00 this scope works very well.I'm using 55gr.nos. ballastic tips at 3240fps.

Rick
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Another +1 for the Leupold Varmint Hunters reticle. You can get the VX3's in 1" tube or the LR models with 30mm tube. They'll go 14X in a light and short scope. I've shot plenty of coyotes with scopes set on 8X to 10X but personally prefer 12X-16X for when the shots are beyond 400 yds. I've used the VH reticle quite a bit in the last few years.

The scope I've killed most coyotes with however, is a 3.5-15X Nightforce with the MOA spacing and ranging circles reticle.........built prior to the NXS models, no tall turrets on it. I leave it on 15X for all coyote hunting, even calling them in close. Big downside to this scope is size and weight, other than that I absolutely love it!!

I don't personally know of any rugged, premium, lightweight, low profile scopes with medium/fine MOA reticles, or I'd have a bunch of them.

If it were me, I'd get a 30mm tube if you want a 50mm objective, but that's appearance only, and just my opinion on what looks good. I am not familiar with the BDC/reticle spacing on the Swaro's and my Burris Black Diamond with the ballistic plex hasn't been used on any coyotes.......cant comment on them.

You hit the nail on the head Roy, there wont be time for dialing. It's all about the reticle because when most coyotes are 300 or less, they aren't standing around very long. Hell, I've watched them from a very very long ways off and even then, they hardly stop to smell the roses unless they are on a kill or taking a nap!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

This is a pic of AR with the mark AR scope,the nice thing about this scope is size not overly large. imo
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes-dog-2.jpg