Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

Rifle: Sig 556. 224 Hornady 60gr V Max @ 2944 MV
Max range expected to be around 300 yds with shot coyotes being seen out towards 400+. Note: I don't tend to pass on yote shots.

Assumed scope requirements: (I may be all wet on this :

4 - 12 or 14X,
50 mm objective - maybe a 40 mm would work @ the low end of power range?
1" Tube
Decent reticle. MOA preferred. I could be persuaded on a BDC of some kind.
There will be no time for clicking.
I don't like Nikon's circles. . .

I also don't like the Pentax drop compensating reticle. The second cross line down is way too close to the zero hold line.

Secondly the Pentax has way to much parallax, even @ 100 yds. (No less than 2 MOA)

Looking for a moderately priced unit. No need to a NXS or Tactical type. I already have enough of those to go around.

I would hope that recommendations would be based on actual use/experience.

Recommendations will be well accepted.

Thanks

Roy
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a scope recommendation - coyotes

Roy,

With years of coyote and P Dog experience in Montana, I used a 220 swift with a Leopold 6x20x56 VXL Varmint reticle. I sight in at 200 for zero and it has proven to be outstanding for years. Thats my 2 cents. This scope is the reason I am just now looking at NF Scopes for long range on elk and deer rifles. Good luck on the yotes, then take on the wolves too!

Andy
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

I have a Burris Signature Select 4-16x with the ballistic plex reticle. It's awesome for what you want. The glass on the scope is great and I was super bummed when they discontinued the Signature Select line this year. If you make it down towards Cache Valley you're welcome to get a hands on look.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Gold Member

I just bought a Stiener Predator Extreme 2.5-10/42. The glass in that scope is better than Ziess in my opinion. Supposedly this scope is assembled in the U.S. by Burris. I've only had time to play with it doing load development, but i really like it. The reticle is like Burris' Coyote Reticle with the circle, but this doesn't have the circles just hash marks. I got it from Camera Land as a demo for 650.00
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

I'd go on E-bay and look for a slightly used Swarovski 4-16X50 with the BR reticle. There are some great deals to be had on there.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Roy

Your requirements on scope set up sounds like you have put quite a bit of thought into this set up. As you mentioned we tried a BDC scope with the circles and found it lacking.
Ended up finding a used Leupold 3.5x10x40 B/C scope and mounted it on my .257 Roberts. Where we hunt coyotes you can get a 40 yd are a 400 yd shot. We found out that you can set and tweak the power settings to match point of impact with some testing at different ranges. I have already ranged most landmarks where we hunt so it's a matter of setting the power ring and using the hash marks in the reticle. It's not as accurate as dialing I usually don't have time for that. The smaller hash marks make for a finer aiming point and you can still see them in fairly low light. The 3.5x10 power range has you covered for the up close shots and big end should get you out to 350+.
Anyway that's what works for me. Good luck on your yote setup.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, I have used a vx-2 4-12x with the long range plex with great success on coyotes. its a cross hair then dots under it similar set up to the boone and crockett or varmint hunters reticle. Also the varmint hunters reticle would work well in it. the vx2 is a great scope and can be picked up for next to nothing

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad