Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Looking for advise/recommendation on range finder...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

Looking for advise/recommendation on range finder...

There are many times that I spot coyotes at distances over 500 yards and my older Ranging 600 Bushnell range finder will not give me a reading which brings me to my question...

I'm looking for advise/experiences on a range finder that can range a coyote standing 500 + yards away on a sunny snow covered pasture/prairie.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for advise/recommendation on range finder...

Swarovski makes a very nice range finder.

Go to the deals forum, gr8ful doug has some on special right now
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member

and so does Leica/Leupold etc but will these reliably read the distance to a coyote out past 500 yards?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

You may want to do a search for "Range finder" in a subject title. There have been bookoo threads about this over the past few years.

If you are not in a hurry , Leica is coming out with a CRF 1600 this fall. If it proves to be all it is said, and they do not increase the Beam devergence, it will be the ticket. If , if ,if, but if so, I predict a bunch of used Leica 1200 crf's and Swaro lasergudes for sale.

My advice for right now is Swaro laserguide or Leica 1200 CRF I carry both all the time. If you are mostly on flat ground, and small animals, I would definatly go with the Leica for the smaller beam and more pin point ranging. You will need to use it on a good rest, I like two sand bags to nestle it in to. Using a RF at long distance on flat ground with small targets is much like shooting a rifle. If it is not rested solid the results will not be as good.

This one was at 880 yards. Is this the terrain you speak of?

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 06-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

My Swarovski ranges consistently past 700 yards. It is rated to 1600 yards.

Only the Jap crap (usually made in China) have problems over 500 yards. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Bronze Member

Jeff very nice coyote and that kind of country + open rolling knolls/hills/pastures is exactly what I am referring too...

Just curious can you tell me about your rifle load in the pic nice looking set up.

I usually try calling coyotes in but there are many times due to pressure in some of the areas I call in that they don't come in close or I maybe driving down a back country road and spot them but they've already see me so will not respond to a call other than to run the other way so my only choice is to range them and shoot.

Just so I have no doubts your Swar/Leica rangefinders worked on the coyote in the pic @ 880 yards?

CC
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
Jeff very nice coyote and that kind of country + open rolling knolls/hills/pastures is exactly what I am referring too...

Just curious can you tell me about your rifle load in the pic nice looking set up.

I usually try calling coyotes in but there are many times due to pressure in some of the areas I call in that they don't come in close or I maybe driving down a back country road and spot them but they've already see me so will not respond to a call other than to run the other way so my only choice is to range them and shoot.

Just so I have no doubts your Swar/Leica rangefinders worked on the coyote in the pic @ 880 yards?

CC
The rifle is my 338 Lapua in an A-5 Mcmillan , Mark V Wby action and 27 1/2" lilja barrel. Scope is a Nightforce NXS.

This one was actually ranged with a Swaro, if fact the 4th one they sent me before I got one with out the reboot problem. Yes there are many that will freeze up and will not come on. You need to remove the battery and replace it to get them to reboot. Good unit, and they may have this fixed by now, but it took me sending one back to Austria, and then 3 replacements to get one that works properly. I want to add Swaro people were awesome in helping to resolve this. Their warranty is impecable.

What you want to do as far as your ranging of yotes on flat ground is a tough request. Especially in bright sun and snow. At 500 ~ 700 both units should do it, but only if you do your part. You will not have much luck if you are standing ranging or leaning on a fence post. To range the actual yote at 500 plus you will need the unit solid rested so the beam can return. Also, the larger beam of the swaro is more likely to pick up other things in the foreground or beyond and give you varying readings. This is why I suggested a Leica for flat ground. If you have a hilside the yote is on both will be golden. The Leica is MUCH faster with readings. The readout and reticle is easier to see than the saro. But due to the larger beam the swaro will return higher readings. My swaro has done rocks and trees at 1999 yds, the Leica 1485 yds.

Jeff