Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Longrange hunting spotting scope help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Longrange hunting spotting scope help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman940 View Post
Sully, I always respect other's opinions even if they are different from mine. Go figure....Have you ever looked at a Nikon EDG Fieldscope? That is about apples and apples in price. I have and truely thought the Nikon was better to my eyes. If you really want to check out something top of the line check out Nikon's EDG VR, this thing is about as incredible as they come, in my opinion. Just so you know, while I do some free lance work for Nikon, my opinon is not swayed because of it. I absolutely understand that not everything Nikon makes fits everyone's needs. Just the way it is, but I think Nikon tries to have quality made products at many different price points from entry level to top tier. At the end of the day, I tell folks to buy what you thinkis going to serve your needs the best.

Just for fun check out the new EDG VR.
I look thru just about everything...even though Im not buying...every chance I get to the mall Optics store.

I didnt say that Nikon didnt make some dammed nice scopes...and rifle scopes...and etc..etc..but regardless they still arent the "best of the best" and as I said the prices reflect that.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

I am interested in the kowa but if I cant get the price down I could almost step up to the ziess. What is Kowas warranty couldnt find it on their website, not really a good start. The razor is still the frontrunner. I have talked to people that say its as good as a swaro 80 non hd model and with their lifetime no-fault warranty its tough to beat. I know people who have had them blow off ridges or drop them in parking lots and vortex sends them a new one. with a 1600$ spotter it nice to know it will be good to go for life.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

I just purchased this spotting scope, and I am very happy with it Pentax - Camera Land NY Stright PF 80 ED. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Kowa Service

Scott told me one of his customers had knocked his over on the tripod and cracked the front lens. He sent it in expecting to pay for the damage and they fixed it for free. I've delt with Scott on several occasions and take him at his word. $1350 shipped, I believe.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

Every bodies eye is a little bit different and if you look at a lot a scopes even brand for brand not all scopes are as good as the next. I look through every scope before I buy.
We compare lots of scopes and this is what we found.

The new swarovski that was just releast
Leica
Zeiss
Vortex razor and swarovski HD
swarovski

and down. I have not looked through the Kowa. After looking through and hunting with the Lieca and swarovski a lot I would look at the vortex. The only thing I wish it had is a wide angle lens(the swarovski lens will fit them).

Just my findings good luck.

Last edited by lhouston78; 11-13-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: missed a letter
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I look thru just about everything...even though Im not buying...every chance I get to the mall Optics store.

I didnt say that Nikon didnt make some dammed nice scopes...and rifle scopes...and etc..etc..but regardless they still arent the "best of the best" and as I said the prices reflect that.
There is almost nothing that can be gleaned from viewing scopes inside a store under artificial light.

I am curious if you have looked at the Nikon ED fieldscopes or the new EDG line? Only the most trained eye could find any meaningful difference between them and some of the top end glass, especially the EDG glass.

Scot E.