Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long Range Turrent ...........so far

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

Long Range Turrent ...........so far

So far what I have learned is that with any LR scope with LR MOA turrents once your sighted in at, lets say,200 yards then you can consult a ballistic program find that with your load, velocity, and BC at the know elevation it give you MOA adjustments at 25 yard intervals. Then all you need to do is find the distance from you to the object you want to hit from your RF dial in the correct MOA on the tip Turrent and any windage and shoot.........................Am I missing anything?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Turrent ...........so far

You almost got it. What is absolutely necessary is you prove the load. The ballistic program has to match your actual drops and you can get the two to jive by manipulating the velocity or the bullets BC. I zero at 100 yards shooting through a Chronograph and obtain a velocity number. I run that in Exbal (ballistic software) creating a drop chart at 20 yard intervals.

With that chart I shoot at 330, 460 and 800 yards. I can do that from my bench out the back door so it's pretty easy for me to fool with a load. Done shooting I gather the targets and determine the error at each distance. In Exbal there is a tool "Trajectory Validation" and when the appropriate info is entered it determines the actual velocity of your load making the drop chart figures match the actual drops. It gets it pretty dang close if your zero is accurate.

Once you have proven the chart it's good to go. If you change elevation or if the temp drops like 50 degrees then you must enter the new info to update the chart. A ballistic program like shooter on a iPhone is the way to go. With the proven ballistic info loaded all that needs to be done to update is enter the current environment info. shot angle and wind stuff and it spits a accurate hold.

I may have overlooked a few things but yeah range it, crank the turret and shoot.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

This sight has helped me understand things more clearly. Now I just need to find a scope that meets my needs. I will be shooting the only rifle I own a .243AI For Deer its about a 600 yard gun shooting the 105 berger at 3200.
Price is a huge factor .................Ive looked at the Leupold MK 4 LR 6.5-20 and the Swarovski's .
I was out ranging things a different distances today, as I found a new in the box Leica 1200 All these years I have never ever shot anything over 250 yards.

600 yards is a long ways out for me.

G
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Here about 6 months ago I purchased a Vortex HSLR 4-16 FFP from Cameraland NY. They are a sponsor on this site. If you want to save some money give them a call and ask if they have any "open box" scopes. The Vortex has a lifetime warranty so you really can't go wrong. The vortex line gives you a pretty good scope for the dollar and no I don't work for Vortex. The customer service at Cameraland and Vortex is second to none.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

What's a Turrent???
Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
What's a Turrent???
An item, product or housing that you pay money to use without purchasing for ownership...
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo98 View Post
An item, product or housing that you pay money to use without purchasing for ownership...
Hah! Learned something new today.