Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long range target scopes?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 AM

Long range target scopes?!?

I am very new to the long range shooting world, but very interested in learning more from people that have done it before. I am working on putting together a new gun to start shooting long range targets. Most of my shooting has been done at targets ranging from 300- 870 yards. Most of my distance limitations are due to the .223 I am shooting. I have the gunsmith for the gun but wanted to get more input on what type of scope to get?

I have a vortex pst 6-24 on my varmint gun and I like it, but I have noticed some issues at long range with it. Crosshairs defiantly block a fair bit of the target at full power(FFP). At distances over 1000 yard it seems to be a little under powered?

My goal would be to compete someday at one of the long range shoots in my area.

I wanted to see about getting some information on what shooters are using for scopes? What are some of the pitfalls in long range scopes?

Right now I have a limited budget of $1200 for the scope. Is that even reasonable to consider for starting out?

All information is appreciated and I look forward to hearing your opinion.
Thanks
Newbe
Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range target scopes?!?

I recently purchased a Sightron 3series 10-50 with fine cross hair for long distance competition.
It is very clear. I shoot out to 500 meters. And I wanted the FCH, because it allows you to hold off slightly much better than a dot. My only complaint is that the side focus knob is very tight and a bugger to move. Paid $900 for it; good deal.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range target scopes?!?

If you want an ultra-fine crosshair, 1,000 yard close-ups, and have the coin to drop on it...The March-X 8-80x56 scope is available.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.