Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long Range Scope Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Bronze Member

Long Range Scope Opinions

Ive been looking to get a rifle scope for anywhere between 200-1000 yards for a .308. Ive been really interested in the Vortex line because of the decent prices compared to some of the higher name brands like Leupold, Nightforce, Zeiss. I want to try to stay under 700ish. Just wondering what other brands/lines for this range.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Scope Opinions

The Clearidge XP5 are worth a look. I have one in 4.5-22.5X50 and really havent been able to fault it. I think it was money well spent.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I switched all my optics from Leupold to Vortex. Same excellent customer service with better glass and price was too good to resist.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

J-man,

"Better glass then Leupold". I'm not sold on that. I recently purchased a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10X44. Although the glass in it is nice I would not say that it is better then my Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II. In-fact I would say that the Leupold has better edge to edge clarity then the Viper does.

400bull
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Too each his own. I worked at a gun shop for quite a while and looked through almost every scope there is.

Prior to this I was a self admitted dogmatic Leupold follower. After seeing the stuff Leupold is putting out now compared to the competition, I had to face facts that they weren't the progressive company they used to be and let other companies surpass them.

All my scopes were VX3s and compared to the Viper line they fell short. Add to it the cost difference and the decision was clear. I sold all my Leupolds and purchased Vipers. The crazy thing was I still had enough cash in my pocket to build a 460 Rowland!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

I have no loyalty to any particular optic brand. If you include my binos in there I have Bushnell, Pentax, Nikon, Leupold, Swarovski's, and now Vortex. Each were bought for a reason and they all meet or exceed that reason even the Vortex Viper. The glass is good with out question, I just feel that in my case the clarity on the edge is better in my Leupold.

As a side note, when my next boys gets around to purchasing his first rifle I will be mounting my Viper on his rifle and looking closely at the PST for mine. That goes to show that I like everything about the scope. I just feel like their are improvements to be made.

400bull
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I agree improvements can be made. I love the optics competition right now because it is keeping everyone on their toes and we are the beneficiaries.

I have a pst in 6-24 ffp and have been impressed. Not quite a Nightforce but very close. I have an sfp on order for more paper shooting comps.

Personally I'm glad I worked at that gun store otherwise I would not have opened my eyes to more than Leupold. I even shunned Nightforce before that experience.