Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

"long range" scope challenge. What do you use

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: "long range" scope challenge. What do you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo263 View Post
The best is not Nightforce.. I own Hensoldt, U.S. Optics and Nightforce the best hands down is Hensoldt.

The glass on the Hensoldt is amazing to say the least, you really have to look through one of these scopes to see the difference.

Tasco does not even belong on the list unless you absolutely cant wait to save the money for a better scope.

I work at a gunstore partime and we have all the big name scopes there and I have used all of them extensively. I would make the list like so....

Hensoldt
U.S. optics
Schmidt & Bender
Premier
Nightforce
I.O.R.
Leupold Mark 4
and from there it doesnt matter..
Hi Nolo263,

Yes you are right, I was talking about Nightforce Scopes, not about other brands(I just put them on the list, because I worked with them). Nightforce is a brand affordable, with a good Reticle Options, and a very good scope for field endurance.

What I would love to see to nightforce is the MP8 Reticle in MOA or MILDOT with 1/2 increment lines. The NP-R1 is good, but I love the MP8. It is so EASY to shoot with and also very good bkup for Ranging option in case if you rangefinder didn't work.

Unread 07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
Hi Nolo263,

Yes you are right, I was talking about Nightforce Scopes, not about other brands(I just put them on the list, because I worked with them). Nightforce is a brand affordable, with a good Reticle Options, and a very good scope for field endurance.

What I would love to see to nightforce is the MP8 Reticle in MOA or MILDOT with 1/2 increment lines. The NP-R1 is good, but I love the MP8. It is so EASY to shoot with and also very good bkup for Ranging option in case if you rangefinder didn't work.
Hello back Sir, I did not mean in any way to offend you or anyone else. I was just stating my opinion.. I own a Nightforce it is on my .338 lapua the scope is a tank while not adding much weight. You are completely right about the MP8 reticle that would be very nice. The best groups I have ever shot, was with my I.O.R. with MP8 reticle. This is by far also my favorite reticle!!

NOLO
Unread 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Hi Nolo,

No offense, this is an open site, were everybody can express their opinions and experience.
Unread 07-14-2009, 01:32 AM

1.) if You pay twice because You have bought a not-so-well item You pay double, so the best money to quality ratio is to go straight to number 2.

2.) Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50 or Z6i 5-30x50 both in any case with the Ballistic Turrent

That would be my choice for anything serious...

Klaus
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Back when I started upgradeing scopes IOR's where priced better than NF and have better glass, kind of important if your scopeing numerous guns. These days the price difference is a lot closer. Like others have said though the MP-8 reticle is very user friendly so I'd give the edge to IOR.
Unread 07-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to consider the new March scope Hunting Scope

Do a search and you'll find prior threads on this scope.

Good luck.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Unread 07-16-2009, 02:41 PM

If its image clarity and quality I would have to say Hensoldt (actually Zeiss, in their military division), specialy the 6-24x70. Its amazing specially in low light! I confess that I do not own a SB and being so I cannot compare but from those I've tried I'd say it is probably the only one that may be even better!
I do agree that they're all far more pricey that Nightforce (+50%) but if you really want the best....