Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

long range range finder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Bronze Member

long range range finder?

Hi to all!

I am wanting to buy a range finder taht will range out to 1000 to 1200 yards, would anyone be able to advise me on a good quality and accurate finder?

Thank you
Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Swarovski...I can recomend this withot reservation....I have heard good things about the Newcon 2000 & 3000, but have no personal experience with them...
Old 09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

On a bright sunny day I can get readings out to 1100 on rocks and trees with my Leica 1200 CRF. On a more overcast 1200 is do-able. But if you did have the money buy the Swaro, I guess it can range a whole lot further.

Overall I do like my Leica 1200 Crf. Its small fits in your shirtpocket, has twice as much battery life than the swaro. If you do any night hunting it has a illuminated led reticle and readout, which is nice in the daylight too. Optics are good, not as bright as the swaro i checked out.

If you do any bowhunting you will like the minimum ranging capabilitys of 10 yards, I dont think the swaro will go that low.

Whatever you do stay away from Leupold rangefinders, made that mistake already.

If you ask around for good prices you can save almost $100 dollars off the price at cabelas of a Leica 1200 crf. Which is listed at $599.99

Laser RangeFinders This is a link to a great review on longrange rangefinders.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I had a bushnell elite 1500 that gave me ranges on rocks, trees, and other stuff of similar reflectivity out to 1300 yds. In the right light, I could range all the way out to 1500 with that thing. I love that rangefinder and would recommend it to anyone at anytime.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the Bushnell Elite 1500. And is a lot less expensive than others mentioned.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
On a bright sunny day I can get readings out to 1100 on rocks and trees with my Leica 1200 CRF. On a more overcast 1200 is do-able. But if you did have the money buy the Swaro, I guess it can range a whole lot further.

Overall I do like my Leica 1200 Crf. Its small fits in your shirtpocket, has twice as much battery life than the swaro. If you do any night hunting it has a illuminated led reticle and readout, which is nice in the daylight too. Optics are good, not as bright as the swaro i checked out.

If you do any bowhunting you will like the minimum ranging capabilitys of 10 yards, I dont think the swaro will go that low.

If you ask around for good prices you can save almost $100 dollars off the price at cabelas of a Leica 1200 crf. Which is listed at $599.99

go for the leica or swaro. I had a bushnell and while it would range sometimes to 1400+ i had problems using it during anything other than perfect conditions. The leicas are solid with much better glass than the bushnells and will get you to 1100+ in any conditions. I've got a swaro now and while I would say it is better than the leica i had before i dont know if it is better enough for the extra cost.
Overall i believe the Leica is the best 'bang for the buck'
Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post

Hi Flybuster,

I just come out from hunting trip with my partner.
We got one supplementar WT Doe, and we are VERRY VERRY DISsAPOINTED BY THIS NEW LEICA 1200CRF.
wE GOT SNOW ANd RAIN ALL 2 DAYS, and his Leica crf1200 DID NOT RANGE AT ALL. JUST 3 LINE ALL THE TIME.
in normal day YES he could range, but not in full rain, or snow.
With my Newcon 2000 I could range everyting all the time.
So now we just return back to the store his new leica rangefinder, and ve are looking for a newcon 2000 pro.
Sorry, but we are very dissapointed by this new unit.

Chris