Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long range hunting scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range hunting scope.

This is what I got and love it.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: Scope is $899.99 and the Custom turret is another $100. I do not trust the computer programs. I made a drop chart that I shot at the range to give the turret maker the ark that the bullet actually makes as it goes down range after being fired from "MY" rifle. They made it "dead nuts" accurate.

Last edited by joseph; 03-22-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Silver Member

Depends on how you use the scope. The better Burris scopes have always had super clear and bright glass for the price. Have owned 4 of them, still have 3 of them. I think the new Burris ballistic reticle is a nice HUNTING reticle. My Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select is pleasant to look through. Burris scope works well in low light situations.

I would suspect most of the Vortex scopes are made by Optical LIght Works, same company that builds Bushnell Elite, most Weavers, Sightron, etc. Not the world's best scopes, but really good for the money.

Places like Cabela's and Scheel's will NOT stock Burris Signature Select, Black Diamond or Euro Diamond as their Zeiss, Leupold and Swarovski sales would take a serious plunge or maybe most folks just go to a familiar name brand they have bought for years. The Fullfield II scopes are not in the league of the better Burris scopes, although maybe a good deal.

I picked my Signature Select over a 4-20x40 Nikon Monarch. I prefer to use the ballistic reticle than taking time to dial up elevation. Depends on how you like to use a scope, but the Black Diamond will give you target turrets if you want to dial up. There is better glass than Burris, just not at the same price from what I have seen.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago ( early '70's ) I thought Redfield was the top of the heap.....then one day I looked thru a Leupold!! Been a fan of Leu's ever since and then this May a gunsmith BSed me into buying a Zeiss.... 1 is the 4.5-14...the other TWO are the 6.5-20 x 50's.

I dont get caught up in "fad's"...no matter how good they seem to be. And all this "combat" gear...this "tactical' HS...makes me sick to my stomach...cause all I can envision is a pack of grease painted loonies in the woods hunting...geeze!

If its costing ME hard earned cash...Its gonna be a Zeiss
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I see this is an 8 month old post. Someone else might be in the same situation though. I would go a little bigger than the 4.5-14 if I was looking to shoot out to 1000 yards. I have a Ziess 6.5-20x50 on my 600yd. target rifle, I also have a Leup. 8.5-25x50 on another rifle and I never run either scope on its highest power. I think it is better not to run them all the way up, my Ziess is set on 16x and the Leupold I shoot on 20 power. It seems a lot of the shooters I shoot with do not run the scope up to its highest power. I don't know about 30mm tube giving more elevation as to it giving more light transmission. This is also the advantage of a 50mm bell as apposed to 40mm bell. If to need more elevation out of the scope you will need to go to a canted base. I am not sure but it I think the Ziess has about 75 moa.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

This is an older post but I do want to point out a couple of issues. First, to FAL SHOT, you said:

"Places like Cabela's and Scheel's will NOT stock Burris Signature Select, Black Diamond or Euro Diamond as their Zeiss, Leupold and Swarovski sales would take a serious plunge or maybe most folks just go to a familiar name brand they have bought for years. The Fullfield II scopes are not in the league of the better Burris scopes, although maybe a good deal."

This is not a credible statement. You do not differentiate between the levels of the alpha brands (Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B, Leica...) and only consider them as a lump. That is not correct. For instance, there is a major differnce between the Zeiss Conquest and the Zeiss Victory Fl T*. You also pay for the difference. Likewise, there is a difference between the Swarovski Z3, Z5, and Z6 (not just in erector magnification). You are implying that the Burris Signature Select is the equivalent of the Zeiss Victory Fl T* or the Swarovski Z6 and I have never seen a reveiw that gives any credance to that view. Instaead, the "alpha" scopes are considered that for a reason. They are the best glass available, are rugged, are mechanically reliable, and cost a fortune.

The fact that you lump Leupold (who makes respectable scopes) in the same category as the alpha scopes tells me you have never looked through one of the best scopes made. However, the reality is that most people never need the best scope and that a lesser scope is plenty for almost all applications. Just be clear that there are better scopes out there if you are willing to pay for them. As for me, I have one alpha scope (Zeiss 6-24X56 T* Fl) and I can compare it with my Leupold Mark 4, Swarovski Z5, Minox Za5, and Vortex PST. I don't have a bad scope in the bunch, but I do have one that is well above the rest from all of the characteristics that count. I have beaten it around and it always holds zero and the turrets are unbreakable (so far). The brightness is unequaled among the scopes I have. I don't have the Burris, but I have read the reviews and it is a good scope, just not one of the "alpha" scopes that cost a fortune. Let us know why you are lumping them together. Also let us know if you have compared them head-to-head.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Second post for comments on this thread. Wrongside said:

"I don't know about 30mm tube giving more elevation as to it giving more light transmission. This is also the advantage of a 50mm bell as apposed to 40mm bell. If to need more elevation out of the scope you will need to go to a canted base. I am not sure but it I think the Ziess has about 75 moa."

This is a common misconception that a larger tube transmits more light. The purpose of the larger tube is to give more motion to the erector (the section with the zoom magnification and the section that turns the image right side up). This allows both more elevation and windage. It does not transmit more light. The light is all concentrated on the front surface of the erector and is not lost because the erector surface is smaller. The mechanism for concentration is the objective lense system. The objective lens system can be made up of one or more lenses which can be coated or uncoated. The use of multiple coated lenses improves the light transmission. However, the primary purpose of the objective lense is to get all of the light to the erector. The smaller the erector the smaller the objective lense focuses the light. There should be no "overshoot" of the light outside of the front surface of the erector. Naturally, there are a lot of complications that make a scope better or worse than another but the lack of transmission of light should not be blamed on the size of the erector.

If you want a lot of travel in the elevation and windage get a larger tube. If you want better light transmission pay for better glass and coatings.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

The 30mm tube is also much stronger. If the erector lenses are larger the scope should
have not only a better picture but a little more light. They are typically smaller than a pea.
I know my 35mm tube scope has about dime sized lens. There is a lot inside these things
we just don't know and understand fully. By the time we get it all figured out the whole
game changes. Digital is coming, don't doubt it.