Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long range hunting scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Long range hunting scope.

What dollar range are you talking about? That helps a ton to begin with.
What power range do you want? How close and how far do you plan on shooting?

I was in your shoes a few months ago. I found out what my budget was, started looking and researching. Found out that what I wanted/needed was not in that budget, save some bones, and bought a Nightforce. Extremely glad I did.

I am still out of the loop on the PST, I don't have one and none of my friends do. I will only give you the straight scoop on what I have and what I shoot.

Sightron scopes are on many of my rifles. I love the glass, construction, and knobs on my Big Sky SII scopes. I have one SII that is NOT a Big Sky, and it is better than anything else in it's price range. All of my Sightrons have repeatable adjustments for as much as I have dialed them at range.

Nightforce has the best glass of any of my scopes (including my Trijicon accupoint). Knobs are good and tight so as not to move while hiking, but turn readily when you need to dial. Superb (albeit heavy) scope. Look in the For Sale section here. If you need to have new, check out Shawn Carlock. He is a NF dealer and site supporter. There are other supporters that carry NF, but I know Shawn personally and respect his opinion. He is the one that sold me on buying a Nightforce.

Enjoy your rifle and don't be afraid to ask questions, just try to give as much info ahead of time to help us help you.

Ogre
Old 03-20-2011, 04:59 AM

Nightforce doesn't compare to Zeiss either.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

There are some good and great buys on this site classified, scope and rifles
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiaailtli View Post
Nightforce doesn't compare to Zeiss either.

Throw it down a ridge and get back with us on that one. Or just turn the turrets and tell me it doesnt compare. Ive fired low light, sun light, twilight and at night with my NXS and never had any complaints optically. My Mark 4's can do the same tricks as well.

To answer the original question, a VX3 and new turrets from Leupold should fit your needs and budget.
I would also suggest turrets that are graduated in .25 MOA as opposed to the custom yardage turrets. This way you can simply print new drops, or change the environmental settings on your ballistic program should you choose to travel with the rifle. The need for different turrets for different temps, elevation, and ammo does not make sense to me given the other option. Slightly slower, but far more versatile.

Last edited by texan79; 03-20-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan79 View Post
Throw it down a ridge and get back with us on that one. Or just turn the turrets and tell me it doesnt compare. Ive fired low light, sun light, twilight and at night with my NXS and never had any complaints optically. My Mark 4's can do the same tricks as well.

To answer the original question, a VX3 and new turrets from Leupold should fit your needs and budget.
I would also suggest turrets that are graduated in .25 MOA as opposed to the custom yardage turrets. This way you can simply print new drops, or change the environmental settings on your ballistic program should you choose to travel with the rifle. The need for different turrets for different temps, elevation, and ammo does not make sense to me given the other option. Slightly slower, but far more versatile.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. I was in the rugged wilderness of MT, and I was crossing a cliffy avalanche chute. I had to swing from one branch to a rock and as I DID my 340 WM slipped off my shoulder and did cartwheels down the chute. It took a bit to recover rifle, and I expected to see broken glass, few scratches, otherwise OK, tested and zero was ok. SOLD ME vari 3 tact. mildot

Last edited by sp6x6; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. I was in the rugged wilderness of MT, and I was crossing a cliffy avalanche chute. I had to swing from one branch to a rock and as I DID my 340 WM slipped off my shoulder and did cartwheels down the chute. It took a bit to recover rifle, and I expected to see broken glass, few scratches, otherwise OK, tested and zero was ok. SOLD ME mark 3 tact. mildot
Mark 3? Not familiar with that. Zeiss, or typo for Mark 4? Only Mark 3 I could find is NC star.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, vari 3, mixed it w/newer mark 4, have both. Thats what happens when you get older Any way it has been a great scope and has had a lot of hard use, has taken some nice trophys