Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long range hunting scope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Long range hunting scope.

I am interested in purchasing a long range hunting rifle scope. What I would like information on is a scope that has good optics, I can use/buy turrets for elevation and wind for my caliber/bullet weight and needed information good out to 1000 yards. There has been some interest in several different brands and models but I feel the manufacturer doesn't give enough information for me to make a decission. Question. Are the tactical scopes good for hunting? Certain scopes interest me but don't think they are made for what I want. But they have options that I would like in a scope. Price is another thing, under $1,000.00. This may also help, it is for a 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag. and will be used for Elk and Mule deer, maybe Whitetail. Currently I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x -14x - 42mm on it and have shot under 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards with the lowest power. I'm not giving any of the brands or models so I can see if what I am looking at comes back.

Thanks.
Rick
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Re: Long range hunting scope.

O.K., I'm looking at a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44mm and thought about the Huskemaw or Burris Signature Select 6x-24x-44mm. One thing about the Conquest and Burris is you can't but them in the 30mm tube. At least from my findings. Yes, I know thw Huskemaw is over $1000.00 but not much over.
How important is the 30mm tube? I understand I can get more adjustment/shoot further with the 30 mm tube. Is that correct?
Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

The Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56 is a 30mm tube. I would look Vortex PST way before Burris. Vortex has the custom turrets similar to those of the Huskemaw, Greybull, ect. Burris and Zeiss are NOT in the same league. It's like comparing a Geo to a Cadillac. Even the Vortex, although very nice are not a Zeiss unless your talking the Vortex Razor HD but then your talking scopes double the money your talking now.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Zeiss is by far the best scope discussed so far. Tremendous glassb,light gathering,repeatable adjustments,etched reticle, The others are not in the same league as a Zeiss... Vortex and huskemaw are too new to the game Zeiss had been building scopes longer than anyone.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm pretty much set on the Zeiss 4.5x-14x, but do I go with the 44mm or the 50mm? Then do I get these 20 degree(?) rings with which one to get maximum distance? Help me out guys, I'm new at this part. I can shoot but this technical stuff confuses me.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavc View Post
I am interested in purchasing a long range hunting rifle scope. What I would like information on is a scope that has good optics, I can use/buy turrets for elevation and wind for my caliber/bullet weight and needed information good out to 1000 yards. There has been some interest in several different brands and models but I feel the manufacturer doesn't give enough information for me to make a decission. Question. Are the tactical scopes good for hunting? Certain scopes interest me but don't think they are made for what I want. But they have options that I would like in a scope. Price is another thing, under $1,000.00. This may also help, it is for a 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag. and will be used for Elk and Mule deer, maybe Whitetail. Currently I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5x -14x - 42mm on it and have shot under 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards with the lowest power. I'm not giving any of the brands or models so I can see if what I am looking at comes back.

Thanks.
Rick
A little off base... But keep your current scope and re-barrel/bed your action and shoot <.50 A new scope won't in most case help close the groups on your rig. JMHO
Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 AM

strombeckj
I'm not looking to tighten the groups but rather know if an elk is at 450 yards not estimate hold over. With adjustable turrets I can set them at 450 yards, settle in and squeeze off the trigger.