Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Long Range Ballistic Calculators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Gold Member

Long Range Ballistic Calculators

I was checking out the Berger Ballistic Calculator and was wondering just how accurate they are..

If I put in my expected Elevation, know BC and Velocity and all the other asked for information Just how accurate will it be.

Weather conditions change and so does Elevation.............

In your experience out to say 700 yds is the data they give you going to be pretty much right on OR do you need to do your own ballistic verification.

???
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Long Range Ballistic Calculators

Short answer yes ballistics programs can be very accurate…..dependent on……

Inconsistencies with computer predicted drops and windage isn’t so much from the data provided BY the program but rather data provided TO the program. Garbage in usually equates to garbage out.

Good practice is to “true” your drops and slightly adjust certain variables (usually the BC, MV and drag coefficient) depending on what application you are using. Drop validation or truing is a must do to accurately predict results provided from your ballistics program.

Computer results can be “spot on” if initial data consists of a relatively close BC to match your velocity band, very reliable MV with good ES, verified scope tracking and cant, and a good zero with a know air density equivalent.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM

If you have access to an iPhone download isnipe in the apps. It is a great ballistics calculator that automatically factors in weather and altitude. So you can take it to the range and get real time ballistics. I have used this to shoot out to 1760 yards and I have also helped out a ton of people at the range using this program to give them ballistic charts to get them started. I swear by it! I hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

My son and I use an app called Istrelok for ballistic calculations.

It has quite a few factory reticles already loaded in it. It adjusts for atmospheric pressure, wind, temperature, elevation, angle of shot, first or second focal plane.

We've been quite happy with them.
I think it's a couple of dollars to download.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:40 AM

Shooter. By Sean Kennedy. Has all of Litz's info and updates.