Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

Vortex 4-16 x50 xlr ffp would be my pick
Zero stop capped windage and awesome reticle at under a grand
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406precision View Post
Vortex 4-16 x50 xlr ffp would be my pick
Zero stop capped windage and awesome reticle at under a grand
I really like Vortex products...My gun was dropped in Africa from a safari vehicle and broke the stock along with the scope. No questions asked, Vortex sent me a brand new scope... Quick.

My only hesitation is its about a third pound heavier than the Swarovski... I have never been on a sheep hunt before but I hear ounces feel like pounds quickly.

I am so torn... If I had it my way I would take the better elevation turret and capped windage turret of of the vortex and pair it with the weight and magnification range of the Swarovski
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Magnification varies a bit from what's marketed at times. The 2.5-8s I mentioned the Mark 3 is 2.6-7.8 in their spec sheet the Mark 4 is 3-8.7. That 1x does seem to help my old eyes on targets. The 2-12x is a true 2-12x.

A bigger deal to me is some of 5-25x I've looked through don't deliver the field of view indicated on the spec sheets.

It's tough to look through enough scopes, in enough situations to truly compare how well they balance all the compromises we ask. In your scenario of grizzly/sheep, in the morning you could be traveling a 3' wide "trail in 10' tall willows, and in the afternoon be trying to get on the ram of a lifetime leaving the basin you found him in.

Nightforce is heavier than Leupold. They're probably a bit more rugged. When trying to shave pounds off your pack it's done in ounces. What do you trade for what.

I have an ATACR that I haven't got behind yet, but I can't imagine going sheep or goat hunting with it. Others might find it ideal. When I finally shot my goat it was 25 yards, certainly not what I expected.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Magnification varies a bit from what's marketed at times. The 2.5-8s I mentioned the Mark 3 is 2.6-7.8 in their spec sheet the Mark 4 is 3-8.7. That 1x does seem to help my old eyes on targets. The 2-12x is a true 2-12x.

A bigger deal to me is some of 5-25x I've looked through don't deliver the field of view indicated on the spec sheets.

It's tough to look through enough scopes, in enough situations to truly compare how well they balance all the compromises we ask. In your scenario of grizzly/sheep, in the morning you could be traveling a 3' wide "trail in 10' tall willows, and in the afternoon be trying to get on the ram of a lifetime leaving the basin you found him in.

Nightforce is heavier than Leupold. They're probably a bit more rugged. When trying to shave pounds off your pack it's done in ounces. What do you trade for what.

I have an ATACR that I haven't got behind yet, but I can't imagine going sheep or goat hunting with it. Others might find it ideal. When I finally shot my goat it was 25 yards, certainly not what I expected.
This is great advice... Definitely want to stay on the low end for for the low power settings... I would say 4x max on the low end

Thanks again
Old 02-26-2014, 05:09 AM

VX3 Leupy w/ CDS (or M1) in either 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 and use the rest of your money to buy beer....done