Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Bronze Member

Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

Hi all,

I am having a custom rifle made for me, 300 wsm, for my trip to Alaska.

I am wondering if anyone has any good scope recommendations for a lightweight scope that is capable of shooting 600 or more more yards if need be. I am not expecting to shoot a sheep or Grizzly at that distance but a wolf is certainly possible. I am concerned a 5-25 may be too high of power on on the low end for Grizzly and maybe sheep.

Can anyone comment on the max low end power I should be looking at and and the optimal high end power for my situation? And also brand and model of scope you recommend.

I am building a low weight rifle and want a relatively lightweight scope to match. I like being able able to have a ballistic turret on elevation but a capped turret on windage for hunting situations.

I should also add that I would love to stay with $1,000 or so but for for the absolute right scope, I would consider 1.5k on the high end.

I will take any and all suggestions and advice.

Thanks for your help.

-Fred
Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightweight Sheep/Grizzly Scope Recommendations

Lots of opinions and preferences. 1) VX 3 Leupold 2.5-8x36 it's 11.4 ounces, and has worked well for me in a variety of situations. 2) Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 it's 16 ounces, has turrets is a 30mm tube. My favorite medium range scope at this time, a variety of reticles, and will bump the upper limit of your budget. 3) Leupold V6 2-12x42, 16.8 ounces I don't have one, but have seen others use them in the field, and at the range. Upper end of your stated budget.

The Nightforce compact 2.5-10x worth a look, but I have no experience with this scope, so perhaps some one else will comment.

Last edited by HARPERC; 02-25-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Lots of opinions and preferences. 1) VX 3 Leupold 2.5-8x36 it's 11.4 ounces, and have worked well for me in a variety of situations. 2) Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36 it's 16 ounces, has turrets is a 30mm tube. My favorite medium range scope at this time, a variety of reticles, and will bump the upper limit of your budget. 3) Leupold V6 2-12x42, 16.8 ounces I don't have one, but have seen others use them in the field, and at the range. Upper end of your stated budget.

The Nightforce compact 2.5-10x worth a look, but I have no experience with this scope, so perhaps some one else will comment.
Thanks for the thought you put into these... I appreciate the help!

So you are definitely thinking 5x is too high for the low end of my hunting rig in this case? And on others other side, a 12x is plenty of power?

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

I agree on the nxs compact.. 2.5-10x42 would be my choice in m.o.a.r retical. If that is out of price range I have a vx -II 4-12 x 40 variable so. on my light weight rifle it is 14 oz. Not a bad cheaper option. Some day I'll upgrade mine!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf View Post
Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44
I was doing some reading on this scope and my biggest concern with with the Ballistic turret is it only has one revolution in travel... Apparently... But it does fit my lightweight need and magnification needs... Just worry the lack of moa elevation adjustment will be a problem (probably only 0.5% of of time, but I'd hate for it to be a problem).

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

I am very pleased with my Z5. Good glass, super light weight and good tracking. Only drawback is the available elevation. It has about 13 minutes of adjustment with the ballistic turret from the zero stop. The scope has been on a 7 stw which was zeroed at 250 yards. 13 minutes from that is a pretty respectable range with a 180 vld but it all depends on your needs.