Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Lightweight scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Lightweight scope?

I'm anxiously awaiting my 6.5 pound lightweight 300 win mag that is being built. I need help deciding on a scope. I have been looking at the swarovski HD5 5-25 at 26.6 ounces, the HD5 3-15 at 18.4 ounces and the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 at 15.9 ounces, or Z5 5-25 at 17.5 ounces. I haven't ruled out other scopes. I currently have a var x3 leupold 4.5-14 which I'm not crazy about. My absolute maximum range would be 1000yds for deer sized game. I know a lot of you might say 15 power is enough, but I would prefer a little more. 15 power in my minimum top end. I looked at Sightron III 6-24 with a weight of 24 ounces. I'm not very familiar with that brand, be see that you guys like them.
Thanks Tony
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Based on my evaluation at the SHOT Show, I would say that the Z5 scopes are a cut above the HD5 scopes in terms of resolution and contrast. The Z5 optics are essentially the same as the Z6 optics, but in a 1" tube, so the zoom ratio is a bit lower (less erector tube travel). That's not to say the HD5 scopes are bad. They are typical of Conquest optics, which are good and set the standard for $500-1,000 scopes.

HighPowerOptics is an authorized dealer for both Zeiss and Swarovski, and has both HD5 and Z5 scopes in stock. I will be doing a side-by-side evaluation over the next two weeks. If you can afford to wait, I can give you a detailed comparison. The evaluation samples will then go on the website at a reduced price, so there will be a good opportunity to save $100 or so if you like the reticle.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 04-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Lightweight scope?

I wouldn't use either, and none of the scopes you mention are light weights.
I use a 2.5-10 NF on a .270 WSM. No problem with this scope on marmots out to 600 yards. Weight 19oz.
The other I would use is a S&B Klassic by Hollands. They have Hollands great ART reticle and .25 MOA turrets. Just add another grand to the NF.
These scopes have a better reputation for accurate and repeatable turrets and bomb-proof construction than the Swaro's, and the S&B will have as good or better glass,
Still at 19 oz.
They will hold up to the considerable recoil your little .300 is going to generate.

FWIW, I use a S&B 4-16 PMII with Hollands ART reticle on a long range varmint rifle. On 16 power I have sufficient magnification to shoot marmots out to 1400 yards.