Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Light weight Picatinny rails??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Light weight Picatinny rails??

I am on the lookout for a light weight picatinny 10-20MOA rail for a Weatherby Mark V LA. Does anyone make one? If not, can you buy a full length rail and cut out the center section making it a 2 piece? Or do they make offset MOA 2 piece mounts?

I have a set of Zeiss Picatinny 30mm rings that I am going to use on my new 340 Weatherby, I just need the base/bases.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Light weight Picatinny rails??

What caliber are you wanting it for. It could make a difference if you are shooting a very heavy recoiler. EGW make aluminum and other ones.

Evolution Gun Works Inc..

joseph

PS: I have bought many parts from them and have been very pleased with products, workmanship and customer service.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
What caliber are you wanting it for. It could make a difference if you are shooting a very heavy recoiler. EGW make aluminum and other ones.

Evolution Gun Works Inc..

joseph

PS: I have bought many parts from them and have been very pleased with products, workmanship and customer service.

Amen to that whole post!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

I think he is saying it's a 340 Weatherby so I agree that maybe a steel base would be better in the long run for holding POI well and resisting mounting claw wear .
I guess it all depends on how much it will be used , for light use and not much removing of the scope it could be fine .
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
I think he is saying it's a 340 Weatherby so I agree that maybe a steel base would be better in the long run for holding POI well and resisting mounting claw wear .
I guess it all depends on how much it will be used , for light use and not much removing of the scope it could be fine .
If the rings are set HARD back against the recoil shoulders of the rail and then tightened down securely..there is no "mounting claw wear" because it shouldn't move at all.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
If the rings are set HARD back against the recoil shoulders of the rail and then tightened down securely..there is no "mounting claw wear" because it shouldn't move at all.
You don't set the recoil bar back in the Picatinny slot you set it forward in the slot . Recoil of the gun backwards leaves the scope behind and pushes the scope forward in a powder driven cartridge gun.
If the scope is not removed a lot as in QD mounts to attach other gear then I agree it should be ok .
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

To the OP. If you want a quality light weight rail that will fit properly on that Mark V You will want to look at Richard Near's rails. I have shot Weatherby's for years, finding a rail that fits good can be tough. Near Mfg. rails are not cheap. But if you want lasting accuracy they are top shelf. And Richard makes what you asked for.

Jeff