Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leveling your scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Leveling your scope

I have always tried to be as accurate as possible in every way about hunting.
When I install a scope to a rifle, I first put the rifle in a stable and straight position, and then 20 or 30 feet away I put a level so I have an horizontal reference, and behind it I put a plummet with a black string attached for a vertical line of reference. As shown in picture. And then get the scope straight with the vertical and horizontal line.
Dont know if I should do this with the minimum or maximum magnification in the scope to make it more precise???
Thanks for the comments.
[IMG]http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/IMG_0146.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Leveling your scope

I would think the way to make it the most accurate would be that so the level just touches both edges of the scope. That way you can line the entire cross hair up with the edge of the level. The longer the level the more precise you will get.

Adjust the magnification of the scope accordingly. You may also then have to increase or decrease the distance in which you look at the + created by the level/plumb bob.

After this you can do simple cant tests by firing the rifle and raising the vertical adjustment while aiming at the same aim point. If the bullets rise straight up your good, if they go up and a tad left/right then you need to twist your scope a tad.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
SPONSOR

I level scopes very similiar. I hold rifle securely in a padded vise. I then have a 4' level out about 50 yards. I use a small magnetic level that just fits inside my ejection port and lays across the raceways. I use this to make sure the rifle is level, then I run the cross hairs across the top of the level exactly making the scope level to the raceways. I keep checking both levels as I slowly start tightening each ring cap down. I've had very good success doing it this way.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Armando

What you are doing is great but it is only part of the process. You also need to level the crosshairs like this while the rifle is uncanted and then be able to duplicate holding the crosshairs level while shooting in the field.

I use a EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT at Brownells

I set the rifle in a vise and use the EXD to align the center of the bore and center of the scope by rotating the rifle until the bubble is level and lock the rifle in place in the vise. When you do that the rifle is perfectly uncanted. While it is locked down you rotate the scope while sighting on a level or vertical plumb bob as you described until the reticle is level also. Now when you lock down the rings with everything level then the reticle is perfectly level when the rifle is uncanted.

Now you need to duplicate this uncanted position in the field. There are several anti-cant devices but the one I use is the Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device

which folds down when not in use

but which you can still see when looking through the scope

When you hold the bubble level you are taking all the cant out of your rifle position and holding your reticle level.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Go buy the Wheeler Engineering scope level kit.I have installed numerous scope using this and it works like a charm.$20 from Cabelas.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
SPONSOR

I got the Wheeler Level Level Level. I really just wanted their magnetic level for the raceway. I set a scope up using the instructions provided. Level raceways and lay the other level across the turret (cap removed) and rotate scope until both levels are reading level with each other.

I then put my 4' level out at 50 yards to see how close my cross hairs were level with the action raceways. With the raceways level a look through the scope showed damn near an inch canted at 50 yards. That's terrible. I re-checked the level on the turret it was reading dead level.

The Wheeler scope level may be ok for the home tinkerer who will only be shooting 100 yards in the woods and not using the turrets for elevation changes, but for long range use it's a piece of crap.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Wheeler level in the raceways and I hang a plumb bob on a visible string at 100yds. Then I know it's all good.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives