Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupy vs. NightForce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
SPONSOR

Leupy vs. NightForce

I am just wanting to get some opinions here. I have always been a Leupy man and most people I know are the same. Since I got into LR shooting I have noticed a lot of people shooting Night FOrce scopes.
Recently I got to look through a couple of NF scopes and compared them to Leup VX III and Mark 4. In my opinion I thought the leupy was just as good and in one case actually better.
I was jsut wondering what other people thought about this issue

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 11-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leupy vs. NightForce

Lerch
You sound like you already have your mind made up so why sweat the small stuff?
any way there is a lot to consider when buying a scope, and what you want to get out of it. benchrest, hunting, combination use, you a clicker, use drop points, like mils, range stuff, going light, etc. etc.

I love my 5.5 X 22 X 56 NXS Nightforce.
One of the main reasons is the NP-R2 reticle.
Also tracks great and is even CAM prof.

I use it on a 30-378 and NEVER click untill over 1300 yards
It just flat out works for me. NO WAY IN HE!! I would want to be with out this scope on this gun!

I also have some nice Leupys some where in the gun safe?

There are lots of scope/reticles available any more and I would look for the one that works for you and your pocket book.

No one scope fits every application(except the NXS NP-R2) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Good luck CAM
Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Steve:

Hereís my opinion and you can take it for what itís worth.

I have owned, and have seen, Leupolds that were great, clear, sharp, good colors etc. but I have also seen a couple that, to my eyes, werenít so great.

Iíve never seen a Nightforce that, to my eyes, didnít look sharp, clear, beautiful colors and contrast etc. I know some people have to contend with the dial it up and then back down, weak spring issue with some Leupolds. Thatís a potential problem I donít have with the Nightforce. I crank that sucker all over and it never skips a beat.

This is just one of those things that can be like the Ford and Chevy argument. Each person finds things with a particular brand of scope that they like and donít see a reason to change. If thatís the case then thereís no need to change if what you see, and the performance you get, makes you happy. Youíll also save a lot of money with the Leupolds.

If however, you are building a high end, ultra high performance rifle and seek the best in components, then, for me, it would dictate the Nightforce over the Leupold just because my little mind seems to be happier with what I see through the Nightforce.

When you say youíve compared them, was it in the store or outside under field conditions. Too bad thereís not some way you could try both, out in the field, under all conditions of lighting, weather etc. and then see if youíre still satisfied with the Leupolds. If you can do that and are still happy with the Leupolds, then take the money you saved and tell Kirby to order another barrel.

I also second what Cam says about the NP-R2 reticle. For me, itís the best thing going, bar none. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 06:43 PM

lerch

This here question be akin to asking "how do you grow cotton?" Ask 100 people and you'll get just that many answers!

Let me put it to you this way! Have you ever attended a Benchrest Match? If not.....do sometime and walk down the line and observe the scopes being used! 99% will be Leupolds! Why? Because them ole boys have learned that they're dependable and consistent! I've been using Leupold scopes for more years than I like to recall and I've NEVER had one let me down! I had one of their first produced with target knobs and have ten of 'em at present time and ALL OF 'EM.....do just what they're supposed to do aka return to zero ALL THE TIME! A whole lot of times folks buy "stuff" just because someone else has done so or they think it's the latest hot gimmick on the market! I don't subscribe to this method because once I find something that works...and works well for me.....I stick with it until such time that problems start to arise! The only problem I have with Leupold scopes is......I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF 'EM!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The only Lupys I care for are the old style Mark 4's. I still use one to this day on my "800 yard and stretch it to 1000 yards on occasion" 308. Fixed 10x, nice and light, clear and bright and bomb proof. Turrets are solid ect... I feel the same about my NF NXS butr offers more power and a variable power as well as all the other qualities listed above in my mark 4, except for the light weight part, but still isnt bad with the 50mm bell instead of the 56mm.

Go with what you like!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
lerch

This here question be akin to asking "how do you grow cotton?" Ask 100 people and you'll get just that many answers!

Let me put it to you this way! Have you ever attended a Benchrest Match? If not.....do sometime and walk down the line and observe the scopes being used! 99% will be Leupolds! Why? Because them ole boys have learned that they're dependable and consistent! I've been using Leupold scopes for more years than I like to recall and I've NEVER had one let me down! I had one of their first produced with target knobs and have ten of 'em at present time and ALL OF 'EM.....do just what they're supposed to do aka return to zero ALL THE TIME! A whole lot of times folks buy "stuff" just because someone else has done so or they think it's the latest hot gimmick on the market! I don't subscribe to this method because once I find something that works...and works well for me.....I stick with it until such time that problems start to arise! The only problem I have with Leupold scopes is......I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF 'EM!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rick!

close range BR or long range?

The close range guys use leups because they have to! Tight weight restrictions -- cant afford a 2lb scope.

at 1K though, leup is lucky to hit 50% usage...

CHeers,
JB
Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Naw! Close range! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]