Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Zero Stop Shim Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Leupold Zero Stop Shim Kit

I recently ordered two Leupold zero stop shim kits from the custom shop for $10/ea. Apparently, they only work in M1 style turrets. They arrived with no instructions or illustrations, and my email to Leupold went unanswered. I was also surprised that I could find no internet chatter about this zero stop system either.

So I had to experiment. Removing the M1 turret caps from each of my scopes, I was able to stack two of the washer shaped shims of differing thickness within the turret body and replace the turret until finding the right combination of shims that prevented the turret from being dialed very far below zero. One stops half a MOA below zero point, and the other about 2 MOAs below zero. Both work fine for the purpose of reassuring me that I'm not a full revolution above or below my zero point.

I am curious what experiences others have had with this zero stop system? Also, my rifle builder cautioned against turning the turret knob hard enough to smack against the point of zero stop for fear that the fine threads on the turret spindle could become stripped. Has anyone ever heard of that actually happening?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold Zero Stop Shim Kit

I couldn't find anything on it either. If it is merely and actually just shims to screw the turret down against, you better be real careful with that or repeatability will go away.
Far as I know, NF stops and Leupold's CDS stops are the only true zero stops. The rest amount to travel interference(shims).

It's hard for me to imagine Leupold passing off shims for a stop, while they know better.
A real zero stop interferes with turret TURN rather than TRAVEL. Big difference.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Leupold Zero Stop Shim Kit-nf_zerostop.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

I recently had a reticle changed out and when I went in to pick up my scope (I only live a mile from their plant) and the tech that brought my scope out gave me a number of these shims and the correct allen wrench for taking the turret off when I asked him about a zero stop. I haven't put them on yet as I'm just now using the scope for load development on a new rifle but had planned to install them just as you described which is just as the tech told me. And I didn't get them impression they were meant to replace a hard stop but more as a general guide on what revolution your zero was on. Hopefully they'll work ok as I'm prone to forgetting to re-zero my turrets after shooting.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

I'm just suggesing to be careful is all.
You'll notice that a turret isn't really stopped by a shim,, it's mushy resistance,, and with a bit of force you could just keep on turning. With that, you're pulling the guts out using the leverage of extremely fine threading(a jack-screw).
Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

Hearing all this, I have to admit that I'm really pissed at Leupold right now. The tech at the custom shop said nothing of any risk of damage from bottoming out the shim stop, and the shims came with no instructions or warnings at all. When I installed them I did turn the knob down fairly snugly against the stop to make sure it was fully seated, it never occurring to me that I might damage anything. If my scopes are not what they were as a result, I might have to drive to Oregon and shove them up someone's @$$ at Leupold! This is a major worry and headache that I don't need.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Well I can't really prove my concern, so please consider this before yelling at anyone. If Leupold says it won't hurt anything, then my concern is unwarranted. Also if you talk to them, bring the communication back and we can learn.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Bronze Member

I have some of the red rings they sent me for a zero stop kit. I use them on my M1 knobs and they work just fine. There about 30 thousands thick and a couple of them will usually work or me.