Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

leupold vx1 target scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

leupold vx1 target scope

Instead of buying a cheap scope I was thinking about using my hunting scope its a 3-9-40 leupold vx1 how would this scope be for target shooting I only want to shoot out to 500 or 600 yards would this be a better option than a cheap scope I know its not exactly an expensive one but for a kid in highschool its expensive enough and would this scope have good click adjustments and if it did were could I get target turrets for it and how much if anyone knows thanks for any help
Old 04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Possum:
You have a decent scope (I have the same one on my muzzleloader). In terms of target knobs for it, you have two options. First, you can send it back to Leupold and have them install target knobs (check their web site https://secure.leupold.com/customshop/custom_shop.php as they have several target knob options). Having Leupold do the work is the best option. Because when they put on the target knobs, your scope will then have "click" adjustments (it does not now). Your second option is to purchase aftermarket target knobs that you can install yourself. It's easily done. You can purchase these type of knobs from Midway USA at: MidwayUSA - Stoney Point Target Knob Leupold Scopes (One Only)

For your technical question as to whether the scope will allow you to make adjustments for a 500+ yard shot, I'll just offer you some tips as I can't answer that specifically. The thing you need to know is how many minutes of angle of adjustment the scope has. If you call Leupold, they could certainly tell you. Then once you know how many minutes of angle of adjustment you have, you will need to look at the cartridge you're shooting and how much your trajectory drops at 500+ yards. If your scope can adjust up, further than your trajectory drops, then it will work. It might not be the best choice, but it will work.

hope that helps.