Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold VX-L Have you seen this yet ???????????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Leupold VX-L Have you seen this yet ???????????

I just noticed a new line of Leupold scopes and thought you would like to check it out they have bigger objective lens with a W on the front of the bell so they can mount lower.
<u>www.leupold.com</u>
UB
Old 03-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold VX-L Have you seen this yet ???????????

I have seen them in the mags. Good reviews. I think they look kinda funny myself. Could take some getting use to. The idea is your getting 50mm glass sitting on low rings. Pretty good concept if you ask me.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
SPONSOR

We've got a few of the 1" tubed 50mm VX-Ls in. Our rep was in the other day w/a 4.5-14x56mm. If you look in their catalog, this scope has turrets on it. However, their production model will not. The 6.5-20x56mm will, but not the 4.5-14x56mm [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Great idea, I bet med rings will work on the 56mm!!! Kinda heavy though, the 4.5-14 weighed in @ 24 oz.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe its just me but I have always found the 40mm-44mm models to be more than capable of getting the job done in almost any light. When it starts getting dark, just turn down the power ring a bit and you will get all the light that your eye can use. I also own 50mm and 56mm scopes but the 40mm is really hard to beat on a hunting rifle.

With that being said, we live in a society where bigger always seems to be better. These new large objective scopes will probably sell just fine because they are bigger &amp; better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

They should be just the ticket for my 338megamag whitetail smasher. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

We live in a society where "we" are getting older and even with magnification turned down can't see to shoot the last thirty minutes of the day if it is overcast. I clocked it twice this winter. I surely hope bigger is better. Or else pretty soon I will only be able to shoot at high noon.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

I agree that 40mm is plenty... And that VX-L, I'm afraid, is atrocious... Looks like someone left it laying on the dashboard in the hot sun for way too long...

"I'm melting! I'm melting!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 03-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen one in person, but based on the pictures, I don't want one. They would have been better off if you ask me simply finding a better source for their glass or improving the coatings.