Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold VX-III VS. Mark-4...Differences ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Leupold VX-III VS. Mark-4...Differences ?

I have searched and havent found the info i am looking for. I know the knobs are different between the two but what else is differnt that makes he mark 4 more expensive ? Assume that all the variables are equal as far as 30MM tube 50MM objective and same magnification range
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

If memory serves the Mark 4 has a laser etched reticle and some are now offered with a FFP reticle. The optical coating may also be different.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

anyone ?.....i see that they offer the mark four with FFp but it doesnt look like they all have it.....anything else?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

The optical quality is about the same betwen a VX111 and a Mk4.
The biggest difference is in the turrets. the Mk4 are exposed turrets and are far more robust and repeatable than the hunting/target style turrets used on the VX111
There are a couple of Mk4 models now offered in FFP but no VX111s at this time. The reticle selection is also different between the VX and the MK4s
The tubes are slightly heavier on the MK4s and overall the scopes are a bit more rugged, being designed for hard use in military or LE use.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by long ranger View Post
The optical quality is about the same betwen a VX111 and a Mk4.
The biggest difference is in the turrets. the Mk4 are exposed turrets and are far more robust and repeatable than the hunting/target style turrets used on the VX111
There are a couple of Mk4 models now offered in FFP but no VX111s at this time. The reticle selection is also different between the VX and the MK4s
The tubes are slightly heavier on the MK4s and overall the scopes are a bit more rugged, being designed for hard use in military or LE use.
long ranger,
I have read and agree'd with most of your post's but when you say that the Mk4's are "far more robust and and repeatable than the target style turrets" you are only blowing smoke up someones anal orifice, and not mine. where did you get that INTEL ????
UB
Old 02-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

I have 1 mark 4 and 3 vx III's and I would have to say the mark 4 has a clearer sight picture than the vx-3's.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
long ranger,
I have read and agree'd with most of your post's but when you say that the Mk4's are "far more robust and and repeatable than the target style turrets" you are only blowing smoke up someones anal orifice, and not mine. where did you get that INTEL ????
UB
Call Leupolds engineering dept for full specs on the turret construction.
When visiting the plant in Beaverton years back that was how it was put to me. Smoke or not in selling Leupold for the last 30 years I have not had any turret issues with the many MK4s I have supplied to LE agencies or civilians, but have had a few VariX3s target turrets sheered off due to "accidents" involving horses and quads when the scopes were used for hunting applications. The VX111s I now sell few of as my marketplace has changed.
The Mk4s are now my entry line of optics.
There is a reason MK4s were used for military and LE applications. 1 of the reasons was that it took far more pounding and abuse in the field to bugger a Mk4 turret system and reticle fixture than the hunting/target scopes Leupold offers.
The target style turrets offered on some of the VX111s are very repeatable in a civilized environment, but will not take the same abuse a MK4 turret/tube and erector will in my experience.
Hope that clears the smoke some.