Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold vx 3 6.5-20x50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Re: Leupold vx 3 6.5-20x50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
At 4 posts you just insulted captain Jon a military man. Who probably has given the most detailed and honest scope advise on this forum,as on person. I and others could nick name him the "scope eater'' He has owned and tested most of the scopes out there. I agree as many probably do with him,I also have many Leupolds.In a conversation with a friend the other day. I brought up my mark4, on a light weight,larger bore, this guy has 3 similar in same caliber 338. His friends mark4 lasted 200 rnd.first failer, then made it to 80 next go. Did not make me feel to good about the $1700 I just spent on my M4. pS Im not a arm chair guy either, spent over 160 days in the field last 3 seasons
Do not be insulted, everyone is a fan of a particular scope or another. I don't profess to being an expert just an end user. If your Leupold failed,sent it back with a description of the problem and let them deal with it under their lifetime warranty
PS The 4 posts are just on this site I have recently subscribed to.

Last edited by thomashoward; 02-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Whole Lotta BS here.
Care to be specific?
Quote:
no one has moved away from Leupold because of quality. Price maybe.
Even if that was true, how would you know it? The people who say they have done this are lying? Do you think this guy was disappointed with the price, or the quality of his scope?

Or is that a mythical picture? If you look closely enough you might see bigfoot in the background.

What is it with the Leupold fans that makes them think anybody with a criticism of the brand is lying? I've never said they were bad scopes but they are not the perfection some think they are either. Many of them do have problems many other mid-priced scopes commonly have. The difference to me is they're charging high-level prices for them

When I did my initial review of the PST 4-16, what did I find? A canted reticle (much less than Leupold's tolerance though) and the click value was off! Was I bashing? No, that's just the way the scope was.

The difference is Vortex actually cared and improved the QC so the scopes they are sending out now are on the money. And it only cost $800 in the first place, not $1600. That's why I now own two of them for the cost of one Leupold which would not be better in any way, and worse in some ways.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Care to be specific?

Even if that was true, how would you know it? The people who say they have done this are lying? Do you think this guy was disappointed with the price, or the quality of his scope?

Or is that a mythical picture? If you look closely enough you might see bigfoot in the background.

What is it with the Leupold fans that makes them think anybody with a criticism of the brand is lying? I've never said they were bad scopes but they are not the perfection some think they are either. Many of them do have problems many other mid-priced scopes commonly have. The difference to me is they're charging high-level prices for them

When I did my initial review of the PST 4-16, what did I find? A canted reticle (much less than Leupold's tolerance though) and the click value was off! Was I bashing? No, that's just the way the scope was.

The difference is Vortex actually cared and improved the QC so the scopes they are sending out now are on the money. And it only cost $800 in the first place, not $1600. That's why I now own two of them for the cost of one Leupold which would not be better in any way, and worse in some ways.
please don't get defensive. If you do not let Leupold know the problem, they cannot fix it. I guess its the "Whole lot of people" that fired me up. I'm 60 and do not know of one person who dislikes Leupold products or service.. Frankly every scope that I have looked through makes me feel like I'm going blind except Leupold.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

You were being defensive on Leupold's behalf. I was simply being informative. If you don't know a single person who has ever had a problem with one or haven't looked through anything better, you lack information, that's all.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
You were being defensive on Leupold's behalf. I was simply being informative. If you don't know a single person who has ever had a problem with one or haven't looked through anything better, you lack information, that's all.
Which Vortex scope would you recommend

We have no problem with those who sell for less, for they know what their product is worth

Last edited by thomashoward; 02-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM

I have (3) of the VX3 LR and have not experienced a single problem with any. Granted, these scopes are mounted on rifles that do not see a lot of abuse in the field or suffer the recoil of the uber-magnums, I do trust their reliability. I have no reason not to. However, I am just one person with limited experience which has been all good.

All of mine are at least 2 years old and I paid no more than $560 (still have the receipts in their boxes). $720 is about a 25% increase in a few years which falls right about a 7-8% price increase each year (not sure of the industry norm).

At your price point, the Vortex PST line looks very attractive, however this is a new model for Vortex which has no track record at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
please don't get defensive. If you do not let Leupold know the problem, they cannot fix it. I guess its the "Whole lot of people" that fired me up. I'm 60 and do not know of one person who dislikes Leupold products or service.. Frankly every scope that I have looked through makes me feel like I'm going blind except Leupold.
I haven't met anyone either. The only thing I have heard is that their price is too high. That is a point if you don't have the 40% discount

As far as the pic goes, how am I to know FOR SURE who manufactures that?