Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

leupold vs. swarovski vs. nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2002, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: leupold vs. swarovski vs. nightforce

Having owned & shot both out to 1,000 in a big variety of conditions... Nightforce, especially in low light. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 09:23 AM

I've owned all three and currenly own a pair of Nightforces and a Swarovski. I have the the Nightforces on my long range target shooting setups and the Swarovski my varmint set up. The only problem with the Nightforce is if you're going to hunt with it and carry it around, it might be a bit heavy and cumbersome. The Nightforce is a bit brighter than the Swarovski and Leupold, but the Swarovski has better contrast to me. Most of the European scopes if you look through them, will have a slight yellowish tint which I think actually enhances contrast where as Japanese glass has a more greenish tint which makes things appear brighter. I think the Nightforce and Swarovski are superior to the Leupolds, but probably not twice as good event though they're about twice as much.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM

I,ve owned Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, and Nightforce. Each scope has its upside and down side when compared to the others. Leupold is a good scope w/ a side parallax adjustment which I prefer because it requires less observeable movement to make your adjustments .It has good optics ,but not great. I have had problems w/ the parallax knobs coming loose when used on larger calibers. Swarovski makes great glass but I dont care for the front parallax adjustment and they tend to get grit in the parallax adjustment causing the function to become unsmooth which is annoying to say the least. Nightforce are built like a tank. They will last a long time but the optics are not what you find on Swarovski or Zeiss. If money is not an issue and I,m assuming its not since your looking at Swarovski and Nightforce, you may want to consider a Zeiss Diavari. They have excellent optics, and side parallax adjustment. On the down side each click is 1/6th M.O.A. rather than the 1/4 click we are all use to.I currently own three Zeiss scopes . Two are Zeiss Conquest's which you might also consider. The Conquest has the same basic features as the Diavari except the Conquest has 1/4 M.O.A. adjustment. Also great optics, and less in price than the Diavari. Do your homework, and finding what works best for your application shouldn't be to difficult. Especially with all the input from our fellow LRH members. Hope this helps some. May your aim be true and your bullets fly straight.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

WOW! This one was dug passed China and revived after all these years ;). Sorry I couldn't resist ... but glad to know that someone did unearth it and cared enough to comment . It is never too late for such an info.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 PM

leupold is the way to go. great pieces of equipment
Old 05-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

it's comparing an apple, orange, and a scope thats milking it's name.

swarovski has the best glass of all 3, but is a dedicated hunting scope. nightforce has good glass, comes standard with illumination, but is more of a tactical scope and is heavy. leupold don't really do anything spectacular anymore, and i wouldn't throw it in the same category as nightforce or swarovski
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 PM

I also believe that you would not need a nightforce, You can use a leupold at that range.
I do not know much about swarovski