Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Vari-X III Questions:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2001, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Leupold Vari-X III Questions:

Jon, I am too a student of long range hunting. And while I'm not anywhere qualified to answer questions on this as some of these guys here, these are a few of my opinions on this subject based on my experiences.
You are correct in your thinking that a rifle scope with turrets is a little less handy and (might be more apt to get knocked around).
My ruff duty rifles don't have turrets and are used for conventional distances, 350 yds and less. My long range rifles do and I treat them a little nicer. If you want a longrange rifle to be handy and still be a good performer at over 400 yds you might consider getting a custom scope reticle from some one like Dick Thomas at Premier Reticle. He can install a reticle with a series of dots on a fixed spacing or a custom setup for your rifle and load. I like the fixed spacing so you can use it with multiple loads and rifles and just compute the distances at where the dots will be on at.
If you do go with the turrets and if you play this game long enough you will. I would for sure let Dick or Leupold install them as I have had a bad experience with the Stoney Point ones. I've had Dick work on a couple of my Leupold scopes and have been well pleased. 308
Old 12-31-2001, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Do you know how much? What are the chances I'd run out of adjustment with the 1"? If I do, what do I do about it? Shim the bases?

Jon,
I have access to some 3.5-10 Leupolds with one inch tubes, will check the range to compare numbers with the 30mm. Have one not being used here and a buddy with several.

Running out of adjustment will depend how far you reach out to - I am confident that you will have enough elevation "clicks" to get you much farther than you have been practicing to. We use tapered bases that tilt the scope downward - therefore tilt the barrel up - the equivalent of 20 minutes of angle to ensure enough elevation for 1000 and beyond.

You could get some more by shimming but that might induce some stress on your scope body - everyone has done it tho and the scopes seem to work fine.

I suspect that if you start clanging your gong at 700 with regularity and want to shoot farther you will start looking at a scope with turrets. There are lots of good ones available. A huge benefit of turrets is the ease of cranking on and taking off windage - that is going to be your BIG challenge, much more than getting your elevation come-ups.

Have fun and let the LR sport takes its pleasure on you. It will cost you money, frustration, envy and other emotions - and countless hours of planning and dreaming. It is all worth it when that bullet goes where you wanted it to. You will match your equipment to your aspirations. The secret lies in pulling the trigger (lots) and obtaining the skills and confidence to make longer shots than you ever thought you were capable of.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think right now what I need to do most is simply get the RUM back from the smith (this summer), see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it and shoot a few hundred rounds at these ranges to see where I stand. Then, I'll go from there. Who knows where that will take me!

Thanks again.