Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold "Tactical" Scope Warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold "Tactical" Scope Warranty

Jeff has a point...kinda. Leupold did pretty much set the stardard to which others are compared. Nowadays, however, they seem to be their own worse enemy.

Links, I thought that companies went over seas because the higher ups were only worried about making bigger profits instead of making a quality product.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
I love the way we treat american companies. No wonder why they go overseas.
It's not a matter of them being an American company or not. Products that are behind the competition in features, mediocre to poor CS is just that. It doesnít make a difference if theyíre American or foreign. All of my scopes are made by US companies. The best I own are my tactical scopes from US Optics which has the best product, glass and CS in the industry bar none! My hunting scopes are made by Burris and Vortex which have tremendous products and customer support.

As of six years ago Leupold was the top scope for the tactical shooters and I would bet 95% of competitors I competed with had them on their rifles. Now Leupold makes up maybe 25% to 30% of the competitors scopes and thatís declining. The question is why? Other manufactures started offering better products with superior glass, with the features tactical shooters were asking for and rock solid CS. Leupold never responded and has made few if any changes to their MK 4 line. Throw in mediocre to poor CS and it helps to answer the question why. As I said when I pay over a grand for a companyís top of line scope and the reticle is canted and it doesnít track as stated and I have issues getting them to corrected the problem, well Iím going else where.

Iíve heard theyíre CS for their hunting scopes is very good though Iíve never owned one. Itís not a matter of how weíre treating a US company, but how a US company is responding and supporting us.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff In TX View Post
Leupold has had a lot a quality issues on the MK4 line with canted reticles and tracking issues in the past. Some folks get theirs fixed others don't as it's hit and miss. The canted reticle issue was big and Leupold pretty much ignored users stating the reticle cant was within their specs. Sorry when I spend over a grand for their top of the line scope I want the reticle straight, not canted.

A lot of tactical shooters have given up on Leupold as they have not kept up with the tactical shooters requirements and quality and CS has been poor at times. This is why I've sold all my Leopold’s tactical scopes.

If you’re looking for a tactical scope, there are much better choices than Leupold often for less money.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Vortex tactical scope line.

Hi Jeff,

I’m not trying to start anything or disvalue our feelings for you have the right to your opinion.

Leupold at times has issues with canted reticles. Tracking issues I really have not seen this but at times have seen erecter systems stick then the scope does not adjust at all or does not adjust correctly. This has happened to Every Maker we have sold at one point. You tend to hear more issues about Leupold NOT because they do not make a good quality scopes but BECAUSE they SELL more SCOPES then the other companies so you see more issues. Leupold’s Fell Rate is actually lower compared to some other companies. My S&B did not track correctly, we sold a Nightforce that came back because the reticle was canted, and we had some USO come back because they did not track right. Again every scope has a fell rate it just when will it happen and to whom is the question.

You say tactical shooters have given up on Leupold but I have not seen this to be the case. I would use more Leupold myself if they did 1/10mil turret on Mil-Reticles. At this time I use 3 MK4. Also some of the best Tactical shoots I have seen use Leupold. I will say more of the Hardcore Tactical shooters are going with S&B, USO, and Nightforce.

Thank Jeff,
Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS GunWorks View Post
Hi Jeff,

Iím not trying to start anything or disvalue our feelings for you have the right to your opinion.

Leupold at times has issues with canted reticles. Tracking issues I really have not seen this but at times have seen erecter systems stick then the scope does not adjust at all or does not adjust correctly. This has happened to Every Maker we have sold at one point. You tend to hear more issues about Leupold NOT because they do not make a good quality scopes but BECAUSE they SELL more SCOPES then the other companies so you see more issues. Leupoldís Fell Rate is actually lower compared to some other companies. My S&B did not track correctly, we sold a Nightforce that came back because the reticle was canted, and we had some USO come back because they did not track right. Again every scope has a fell rate it just when will it happen and to whom is the question.

You say tactical shooters have given up on Leupold but I have not seen this to be the case. I would use more Leupold myself if they did 1/10mil turret on Mil-Reticles. At this time I use 3 MK4. Also some of the best Tactical shoots I have seen use Leupold. I will say more of the Hardcore Tactical shooters are going with S&B, USO, and Nightforce.

Thank Jeff,
Mike,

Never any issues between us.

I feel as well as many others that Leupold believes that being the biggest is being the best. There has been no real innovation coming from them in years but gimmicks and huge price increases.

You want 1/10 mil turret as well as many other shooters, Leupold wonít even consider adding it, so the tactical shooters goes else where. When I had a canted reticle and my scope tracked .20 moa instead of .25 moa and I couldnít get them to fix it because it was within their specs I gave up. Thatís poor CS. Almost $1300 for scope that I couldnít get fixed, so I sold them!

When I got my first US Optics scope it came with wrong reticle. A call to John Williams III and he said it would be 4 weeks until they could ship me a new scope due to a military contract they had to finish. However, in the mean time use the snot out of the one I had. He also said donít worry about abuse or ring marks. He apologized and a little less than a month later my new scope arrived. Thatís fantastic CS.

Iíve heard from many sources that Leupoldís wasnít viewed well at this years 09 SHOT show. No real innovation, just the old VX-III repackaged and renamed the VX-3 but large price increases.

Hereís Scott Berishís of Liberty Opticís review of most of the scope manufactures at this SHOT show. Leupold is on day two of his blog and even though he reps Leupold he pulled no punches and gave an honest assessment Leupold which Iím sure theyíre not happy with. Sometimes the truth hurts.

The view through the Liberty Optic

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have stuck with three brands of rifle scope, Leupold, Burris and Nightforce.

I had two warranty returns with Burris, small drops of sealant splattered onto the inside of the lenses under recoil. You could just see these drops but they were annoying, so I returned them to Burris who fixed the problem no question asked and in quick time - well done!

No warranty issues with Nightforce!!

One warranty return with Leupold. This scope 3-9x40 VXII would shift 4 inches at 100 yards every time I took it out! This scope cost me the trophy of a lifetime. Leupold returned the scope to me unfixed and stated that the shifting reticle was a design feature due to the reticle pivot point being where the rings grip onto the scope or some such bull.
I still own one Leupold scope and it works fine but it will be the last one I ever buy.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

This is a case of how an American Company was treating it's customers. Consumers go where they can get the best bang for their buck. There's no sense in throwing good money after bad to prop up a company that pisses on it's customers, foreign or domestic.