Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold spotting scope users- I need your opinion ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

Leupold spotting scope users- I need your opinion ?

Just been looking at spotters and have heard nothing but good things about the original gold ring 12-40 x 60 spotters. Built tough and made by a company that backs their product up. I would probably try and find a good secondhand one for less than 600 ? I do not want the reticle on this one. Purely used to look at horns and targets.

Having never used one personally, I would lave to hear some opinions from those who have. Good or bad ??

Thankyou.

DUH
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

DUH,

I don't have much experience with one but have used one a few times. I thought it was great, even mounted on the truck window. For the money I don't know how you could beat it. Optically speaking it's clarity and crispness were great, BUT I have never used any of the high end glass either, so take my comments with a grain of salt. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
SPONSOR

DUH,
I have had one since they brought it out (I forgot the year??) and have used it for bench, PD's, spotting in the mountains for elk & muley's, and in the plains for antelope. I just upgraded to the HD version in 07. A friend and fellow LR shooter/hunter now has it. His adult son took an immediate liking to it while antelope hunting and pd'ing near Casper.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

I've had one since they firsy came out too, I've been completely satisfied with it.

Good optics and reasonably light weight, it's hard to beat.

I also have a compact carbon fiber tripod (packable) with the Manfroto low profile side grip head with quick detatch shoes for my spotting scope, camera, and a V style rifle rest. This setup is very versitile and not bad to haul around even moderate distances.

Southpaw
Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Leupy

I also have had one for years. It really is a quality product in many different ways. The optical quality is great for the price. Eye relief is excellent and very important. The best part is the relatively light weight and compact size for a full power spotter. You won't be disappointed. A lot of people will tell you you need Swaro, or Leica, or Zeiss. That is not true in my case. I enjoy counting points at long distances through my Leupy. Good hunting!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for the tips fellas !

If anyone sees one for the right money, let me know please.

Many thanks again.

DUH