Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold or Sightron???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold or Sightron???

Sightron.....that's all I'm saying.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Leupolds are what Sightron calls "seconds". Their "firsts" are branded SIIIs!

Last edited by phorwath; 03-04-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Leupold's are what Sightron calls "seconds". Their firsts are branded SIIIs!
LOL....I wasn't going to reply again, but that's pretty good.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

I have a simple test everyone can try that answered all of my questions as far as a hunting
scope goes.

If you try this you will probably be supprised at the out come.

The good thing about the test is that you won't have to post the results if you don't like the
results.

Be fair and compair apples to apples( objective dia.,tube dia., power and so fourth).

Take them out in the field and set them up on a good solid surface so that yuo don't have to
touch them during the test.

Go in the evening just before sunset and look through all of them to adjust focus and parallax

Then as it gets dark see whitch one is the last one to white out.

Unfortunately the one that performed the best for my eyes is no longer made.

Each persons eyes see things differently so the results are best for you.

Buy the way the best scope for me is the LPS made buy Leupold that used Licia lenses.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Yesterday I was doing some "lay" scope comparisons with a Mark 4 Leupy, S-3 Sightron and a NXS. Were looking at different things but one thing that stood out was when we were glassing antelope at near 500 yards. Both NF & The Leupold had much better contrast with color on the antelope than the S-3.
NF came out on top, but the Leupold was noticeably better on the antelope whether they were in the shade or sunlight. On paper we couldn't tell this difference to the degree compared to animals and other natural landscape. The S-3 made the animals look dull and did not do a good job on color differences compared to the other two.

This may be a matter of lens coating differences, but it was very noticeable. I am not taking away from the S-3's glass, repeatability on turrets, etc. I think they are a great buy for the money, but when looking at critters there was a definite difference.

Ernie was this a 2008 model or newer SIII? I only ask because the glass that's getting good reviews in the SIII line is only in the 2008 model year and newer SIII.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
All in all we will be comparing current: Mark 4 6.5-20, VX-3 I mentioned above, NF NXS their new FFP 3.5-15, Sightron's 6-24 S-3, and Huskemaw's 5-20.
Once all is said and done, it will be written up.
Ernie

Here is a list of things to think about when you check these scopes. I have probably forgotten a few things but it is some of the things about scopes.

1. Comparing scopes of different objective size is apples to oranges.

2. Exit pupil has little meaning but lots of people like talk about it.

3. As mentioned, the power multiplication should be the same or else expect to take it into a consideration as a compromise

4. The most critical aspect of dealing with a scope is to get a good focus with the eyepiece. Looking through a scope without a perfect adjustment of the eye piece is useless. Itís like taking a reading test with someone elseís glasses. Typically it takes me about half an hour to get a perfect focus. I like to use pine needles on a tree and dead twigs. If you can sort out individual pine needles at over 1000 yards then you have the blue green wavelenght transmission well in hand. If the brown twigs resolve well then you have the middle of the other end of the spectrum.

5. Visible light runs from red to blue so to check both ends of the scopes color transmission use some blue painters tape and some thing similar in red. Put this out about 500 yards or more and then see if it shades away into green or orange and or if both are equally sharp- unless you are good with colors you might need a woman to check this issue. You can look at it centered in the scope and then at the edge but remember you are dealing with a rifle scope not a spotting scope so edge is not as important as the center. The edge of the tape is where you will notice a color shift. I pretty much guarantee you that it will be there so look for it- there are no perfect optics.

6. Check the scopes in full daylight and then at 30 minutes after sunset or if you are an early riser before sunrise. I actually think morning is better because the ground in not hot and still causing mirage and you can work until the mirage gets to bad.

7. All scope should have a sun shade or none should.

8. Be careful about reflections up from surfaces such as a table or truck hood or even a stainless steel barrel. If necessary get some flat black cloth or paper to absorb and block reflections.

9. You will need a grid or else a set of perpendicular lines to check for astigmatism and for distortion. The grid needs to run through the entire field of view.

10. If the scopes have different power ranges select a common low power and a common high power. Do not use the max nor minimum of a scope, instead stay at least one whole power away from the each end of the magnification range. All optical devices are compromises and typically you detect the compromise at the extremes and the scopes perform best in the middle of their range.

11. Almost any cheap scope will look good out to about 300 yards. It is the 800 yard to 1500 yards that separates the quality of the optics.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

There are a number of manufacturers producing scopes that outclass Leupold glass for less cost. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgreene
What are the others?

David
You still haven't answered my question. Who are the number for less cost. If you compare apples to apples the scopes you mentioned are more expensive than a comparable Leupold except for the Sightron and they are the same price.

Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 $800
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 $1000
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 $800
IOR 3-18x42 $1500

I'm not saying that Leupold is the best scope out there, we all know they are not.
I still say that in their price range Leupold is hard to beat day in and day out when you consider the whole package: glass, repeatability, quality, durability, size and warranty. And don't forget about their custom shop. I know from personal experiences that IOR and Zeiss don't have the best warranty service as far time for repair goes.
You may be right about the SIII, time will tell.

David