Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold or Sightron???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Leupold or Sightron???

I am trying to decide between a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25x50 LR and the Sightron 8-32x56 scope... Does anyone own a Sightron? The reviews are great on the scope but I know the Leupold will be good... Help me decide... Any opinions?

DoubleG
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold or Sightron???

A buddy of mine put a Sightron 8-32 on his 338 Lapua and it is performing awesome.

I looked through it and shot it -- very good glass, clear and bright and the dot isn't as big as I thought it would be at 1/4". Doesn't obscure too much of the target at 1000yds and easy to pick up.

The adjustments have been right on and have returned to zero every time, back and forth from 100yds to 1000yds and everywhere in between.
The turrets are better that the older 6-24( which is what I have). They are larger and have a more positive detent and feeling, both audible and tactile.

Great scope for under $900.

If I don't get another Nightforce, I may get a Sightron 8-32 for my 338 Lapua Improved.

Plus sightron has great customer service.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

the Sightron S111 scopes are just flat out better scopes than the Leupolds.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM
SPONSOR

Yesterday I was doing some "lay" scope comparisons with a Mark 4 Leupy, S-3 Sightron and a NXS. Were looking at different things but one thing that stood out was when we were glassing antelope at near 500 yards. Both NF & The Leupold had much better contrast with color on the antelope than the S-3.
NF came out on top, but the Leupold was noticeably better on the antelope whether they were in the shade or sunlight. On paper we couldn't tell this difference to the degree compared to animals and other natural landscape. The S-3 made the animals look dull and did not do a good job on color differences compared to the other two.

This may be a matter of lens coating differences, but it was very noticeable. I am not taking away from the S-3's glass, repeatability on turrets, etc. I think they are a great buy for the money, but when looking at critters there was a definite difference.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
I do not think I have ever disagreed with anything you have ever posted here....until now It may just be my experience with the big sky sightrons that is keeping me sour with them. I probably posted here about that fiasco a couple years back.

DG....I know where an as new 8.5x25 with alumina flip caps is for about the cost of a new one is. Those flip caps are high priced so it is a little bit of a deal not great. The way I look at leupold, a used one is just as good as a new one.....I love that warranty. I have had to use it too many times, but it was there. I think other brands break at the same rate as leupy but I shoot so many leupolds that I notice it more.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
Agreed. The Sightron SIII - for the money - should be an embarassment for Leupold. But Leupold continues to mass-market scopes with inferior glass, particularly in light of their inflated MSRPs. I used Leupold scopes for more than 25 years, until I finally "saw" the light - literally. Like being able to see my target and field of view clearly and cleanly in lower lighting conditions. I'm now down to my last two Leupolds, and they will also eventually be sold to someone that still thinks Leupold scopes are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There are a number of manufacturers producing scopes that outclass Leupold glass for less cost. But Leupold's brand name will continue to keep them in business for quite some time, because a large customer base of optics users just keep using what has worked in the past, even though there are less costly and better alternatives available, with equally good warranty coverage.

Now I need to tie my running shoes on tightly and head for cover before the Leupold supporters start firing/flaming away. Dave, perhaps we can trade off the lead trail-breaker position as we make our get-away.

Last edited by phorwath; 03-03-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

There are a number of manufacterers producing scopes that outclass Leupold glass for less cost. .
What are the others?

I haven't had my hands on a SIII yet but I'm like eddybo, Sightron put a bad taste in my mouth a couple of years ago. The SIII may be the best bang for the buck right now but in the past it hasn't been. I have owned several Leupolds and yes they may not have the best glass out there but they are better than most. Some other brands of scopes I have seen one would have a good set of glass and the next three would be fair. All the Leupolds I have ever owned or looked through have been as good or better than 95% of the scopes that I have compared to in there price range. And one thing that you can't argue is that Leupold scopes have one of the highest resale value of any scope out there in there price range. I'm not saying that the SIII is not better than a VXIII, I haven't compared the two, but I'll bet that SIII is not that much better and when you get ready to sell the two that you will get more of your money back with the Leupold.

I'm not flaming you, heck my next scope may be a SIII. I'm just stating that Leupold isn't a bad scope and that they are hard to beat in there price range, but I not saying that they can't be beat.

David