Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Scopes???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 07:15 AM
Simon

Leupold Scopes???

Hi Guys, I am in the market for a good quality scope and am considering a Leupold. My gunsmith has indicated that he has had bad experience with quality, has anybody had similar poor experiences or has he just been unlucky????
Old 10-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Leupold Scopes???

Now wait guys, let me first kick off my shoes, get a beer and some jerky and sit back so that I can enjoy the show!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

Just an unlucky coincidence. Even if he did have a bad experience, he could have sent the scope back and they would've fixed it for free. Leupy's are very hard to beat for quality and price. Plus they're made right here in the good ol' US of A. Buy one, you'll like it.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:25 AM
SPONSOR

I'll agree w/300 on this one. I have 3 and love everyone of them. I had been thinking about a NF, until I looked through one this past weekend. I looked through it side by side w/my Leupy, and I'll keep my Leupy!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

I have owned Leupold, Burris, Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, and Nightforce. Hard to beat S&B with Swarovski close behind for optical brilliance. The current line of Nightforce NXS is still my favorite for several reasons.

I have Leupold on several rifles and I like them. They are good scopes for the money. I have had problems with a couple of Leupolds, but they have a lifetime warranty and Leupold will fix about anything for free. Their turn around time is really fast. If I was looking for something for long range hunting and didn't want to spring for a NXS, U.S. Optics, or the like, I would get a Vari X-II in the magnification of choice and send it off to Premier Reticles for a custom reticle and a target turret for elevation. For a few bucks more a Mark IV with a custom reticle would rock.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

I have a couple of leupolds and I love them. Only once did one let me down. It was a VX-III 3-9 and the ajustments weren't working. So I took it off the rifle and sent it in to leupold. About 1 week later I got a call saying they got it and they were working on it. When I got it back about a week later the letter said that they didn't find any problems bit they replaced the working mechanismn and re-gassed the scope. So I went to the closet and got the rifle out to put the scope back on it and THE SCOPE WAS ON THE RIFLE. (I sent in the wrong one) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

So I took the one that was actually broken and sent it in and they got it and fixed it and sent it back without any sort of complaint about sending two in in a couple weeks.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

i once took one of those falls where i unintentionally used the gun to cussion my fall. after that i couldn't hold POI so i sent it back and they fixed/returned it at no charge.that was over 30 yrs ago.i've owned several more and are my scope of choice.if your smith has heard of quality problems,he would be the first i've ever heard say that.does he sell a different brand?