Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold scope tracking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold scope tracking

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly my thought Cat. Did you measure Scope MOA to MOA Movement or Scope MOA to Inches Movement? If your measurements are in Inches, although it's not perfect I think you're fairly close, especially if you're gun has +/- 1/2MOA error.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was setting up long range rifles for practical field matches (PC for sniper match rifles)... the scopes are set up so 100 yds is at the bottom of the elevation turrets... so you get lotsa "up"

Then I check the bubbles for cant and the spindles for tracking errors.

I took a 20"x60" craft paper with a straight line down the middle, and a red stickie dot on the bottom.

I tacked the target on the frame and checked with a plumb bob so the straight line was perfectly plumb to gravity.

Then I shot a group at 100yds at the bottom red stickie dot on the target. (Group was centered on the dot).

Then I cranked in 40 moa of up, and I held on the red stickie dot (bottom target) same as the first group.

The second group had to be on the plumb line, or there was a spindle problem, or a bubble problem.

The groups were 42" above the red dot.

I don't work in inches - only moa (1.047")

I've never had a general hunting scope pass this test.

LRH member #23