Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold scope ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member
Leupold scope ??

My latest rifle is a Rem Sendero in 300 win mag. I chose to use a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x40. I happened to catch one with target knobs on clearance, so my scope has the tall knobs.

I shot the rifle all summer, developing loads / charts... I used the rifle on the deer hunt. On the second to last day I took my kids on the wheeler. I put the rifle in an old plastic rifle case with foam padding. I had to squeeze the case to get the latches to shut. I then bungeed the case to the rack.

After a couple hours on rough roads, we spotted a group of bucks. I ranged the deer at 309 yards. Sweet! I set up, and took the shot. Lost the deer in the recoil, and they scattered in the brush. My kids and I hiked over, but couldn't find any sign of a hit. What the ^%#@$??

Convinced I made a good shot, I went back in the morning and looked some more. No luck. After returning to my truck, I decided to check the zero on my scope. Five inches left!!!! What the @#%??

This morning I took the rifle to the range. First, I verified she was shooting five inches left. Next, I rezeroed (turned her five inches to the right). Produced a 3 shot, 3/8" group dead on.

I then shot a box test: up 8, right 5. left 10. down eight. right ten. up eight...

The groups varied from dead on to 1.5 inches outside. Average group size was 1.25" (not the expected 1/2").

I then rezeroed and shot two more into the original group. five shot group on zero was then about 1/2".

Sooo. I'm not sure what to think. Why'd the scope skip zero? A hard jolt on the wheeler coupled with the tight case? I also verified my windage screws and scope rings are tight.

The windage knob is also rather tight in my scabbard, and the rifle spent several days on a horse with me prior to the four wheeler outing.

I have a hunt I leave for tomorrow. I really would like to take this rifle, but my confidence in the scope is sorely shaken.

I'm guessing the reticle shifted internally? What are your thoughts?

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Gold Member
Originally Posted by grit View Post
"... I'm guessing the reticle shifted internally? What are your thoughts?"
Not that one.

Here, kitty kitty kitty.

LRH member #23
Unread 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
OK. How about some helpful input.

Last edited by grit; 11-01-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member
I dont know what the answer is.. However I think it's clear you've lost confidence in this rig. So you need to choose a different rifle. If you want you could put it in the case and bounce it around and check it again. If it is on after that you could use it but I'd have a hard time using a rifle I didn't trust.

Could you tell if the knob got turned? When you returned it to zero was it in a different place than before?

Good luck to you.
Unread 11-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
The knob had not turned. To rezero the scope, I turned the windage five inches to the right, then reset the knob to zero.

I had an interesting conversation with another member of this forum about it on the phone. Can't remember his handle at the moment. It was his opinion four wheelers are extremely hard on scopes, placing the equivelant of hundreds or thousands of shots per hour on them. This is my first experience with a cased rifle on a four wheeler. Typically, I hunt on foot often using horses to get into the backcountry.

The rifle was in the case with the windage knob up. So, the crosshairs settled.

I am feeling better about the scope, and have decided to use the rifle for my hunt. I will bring a spare, and will check my zero a couple times.

Last edited by grit; 11-01-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Unread 11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
To date I have had consistency with my Leupold's. I don't have access to 4-wheelers or horses (I am the mule).
Unread 11-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Silver Member
Having the same problem on an MK IV LRT 6.5x20. From canted reticel out of box to not returning to to zero.

New Leupolds have given me a fit.

My $$ will now be going to NF, Zeiss-Hensoldt, S/B, IOR, and USO.

Quite frankly, Im sick of Leupold's current QC problems. And besides, the dollar is a fallin so you might as well get those Euro optics now while it's semi-affordable.