Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Reticle change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Silver Member
Re: Leupold Reticle change

You've got to ask yourself a couple of questions.

What are my true needs and requirements when it comes to a reticle?

If it's for paper punching or shooting no more a couple hundred yards, then I wouldn't waste my time and hard earned money on a mil-dot reticle.

If however a mil-dot type reticle fits your needs and requirements then go for it, but I'd spend the extra few dollars for a 2nd gen mil-dot from Premier. I had them install the 2nd gen in my tactical leuy scope and I really like it much better than the standard USMC mil-dot reticle.

All of my new scopes have been from IOR and I have the MP-8 reticle in those scopes which I like better than mil-dot and 2nd gen mil-dot. Same concept, but they use hash marks instead of footballs.

Which ever way you go, purchase a reticle that will meet you actual needs and requirments and forget any fad stuff. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!

Unread 10-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Leupold Reticle change

I have Leupold # 54680-Vari X III L.R. Tactical 6.5-20 X 50 M1 knobs standard Mildot.
When I first got it I zero'd in at 100 yards on 10X.
I then dialed it in to 20X, shot a group of 3. My impact shifted a 1/2"
I called and spoke to Chris @ Premier. He stated that it's a common thing that happens with a factory Mildot on the second focal plane.
He said that that won't happen with a Gen.II Mildot that they do, since their Reticle is in the First focal plane.

This is the second Gen.II I have owned from them. The first was a Vari X III LR Tactical 3.5-10 X 40 M3 Gen. II Mildot.

The reason I sold that one and went to what I have now is for the finer adjustments with the M1 knobs. I also like the higher magnification.

The 2 match's that I competed in after I received the 54680 I have walked away with winning something at both match's.

Premier Reticles is the $hit and if I set up another rifle it will be the another one just like I have right now.

Ewing scope stands,
simply the best!