Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Reticle change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:39 PM

Leupold Reticle change

I have a Leupold Long rang 6.5-20 VXIII

It has Fine Duplex crosshairs. Anyway, I was thinking of having Leupold change the reticle to the Mill Dot. Any disadvantage to doing this? I was also thinking about returning the scope and just getting the tactical version (if they still let me) and paying the difference. For the reticle change..Leupold want 145.00 to do it.

Can anyone tell me if I'm gonna be not happy if I do this. Or should I just suck it up and keep the fine duplex. Mostly on a rifle used for Varmints.

Joe
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 PM

Re: Leupold Reticle change

Also

It says the change is for Wire Reticle....Is that the same as the Mark 4 ?

Is there a disadvantage to wire reticle???

Thanks

Joe
Old 10-13-2004, 05:06 PM

Just browsed Premiere reticles and see I can have a Gen 2 mildot installed on my scope as well as the same turrets as a Mark 4...The nice thing if I'm reading this right is the gen 2 will allow constant mill spacing thru all power settings.

NOW...Please tell me this is a good thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 AM

lablover,
At the range where I shoot they hold a lot of sniper competitions. At these comps I see the majority of the leupolds on rifles have the 2nd gen mildot. I have not used one, but they seem highly popular with the people who shoot in competition.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Lablover,

I'm about in the same boat as you. I've been shooting a mill-dot for a couple of years now. Really like it, wouldn't go back. Great for yotes and rchucks.

Am seriously looking for something w/finer resolution, that is, 1/2 mil marks. Trying to "guess" a tenth mil is a bit of a bother.

Priemier and IOR make 'em.

The other complaint is that the mil dots are calibrated at only a specified power setting. Example, 10X on my 6.5X20. When I read the review on the scope the article indicated that the calibration remained constant across the power range. Yea, right! I don't trust those magazine writers worth a toot. (Give 'em a piece of equipment and send them on a hunt and they'll say what ever they get paid to say.) Liked it enough though that I didn't complain or send it back.

The pain in the neck is having to calibrate it at another power, in my case at 18X as optic quality noticably dropped off at 20X. Then my drop chart has 2 columns, one for 10X and 1 for 18X.
I figure with the MP-8 reticle for example, no footballs or soccor balls just 0.1 mil hashes a varing size w/power wouldn't make much difference. This ones going on a big game rifle.

Otherwise I'm considering a fixed 6X for my 338 then I don't have to worry my bone-head with what is set at where......

If you are into preciseness, you'll love the mil dot and 145 to make the step isn't bad at all.....
Old 10-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

lablover,
Are you sure the reticle change is $145 and not $45 instead? I had a "fine" replace to a "standard" 2 yrs ago and it was $45.
-------------
Zod
Old 10-17-2004, 04:12 AM

got the email from leupold and they said 145.00

Joe