Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold question

There is a good article @ snipers hide-using a mil bases scope. If you have a ffp or your scope set at power set for system. Then you hold what you see in reticule for moa or mil. If you search here it has been covered.Read using modern reticules, in LRH ARTICLES
Old 01-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Will do.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
I understand the range estimation use, I would just like to understnad how to use Mil for hold over, and compensating for the wind.
It's really easy. Just change the options in your ballistics software from MOA to Mils. Actually with MOA knobs you need to print both so you can dial or use the reticle. Here's a cut and paste from something I wrote earlier today to try and explain using the reticle for wind:

With a good reticle one can hold within .1 Mil (1/3 MOA) quite easily. You may miss because you misjudged the wind, but holding the correction accurately is not a problem.

Whether you're using a quick reference drop chart with 10 MPH wind holds printed out like this:

Or a PDA spitting out corrections, you can and should get precise windage corrections the same as you get precise elevation corrections.

For example with the above: You range the target or critter at, any number, it doesn't matter--let's say 732 yds. Your 10 MPH wind correction is .8 Mils. If you estimate the wind value is 5 MPH you hold into it .4 Mils. If you it's 9 MPH you hold into it .7 Mils. If you estimate it's 15 MPH you hold into it 1.2 Mils, etc. If you're using a PDA/Phone it'll spit out whatever correction you need as well, it just takes a bit more time.

Here's an article that may be helpful (just skip over the ranging part):

Shooting Voodoo :: Maximizing the mil-based reticle
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

There is certainly nothing wrong with your current reticle setup for fast accurate shots at game in the field--once you maximize the reticle's potential. If i were setting that up for intermediate range shooting in a hunting scenario i'd have dope for the reticle in a Butler Creek scope cap cover and Leupold's low profile turret (elevation only) with turret dope on the side of the rifle like Jon shows above. The plex post tips in that optic measure (subtend) 2.6 MOA @ 14x, and can be subdivided the same way Jon detailed above for windage apps. using turret for elevation.

Last edited by sscoyote; 01-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

I can't speak to your question about CDS turrets, but I can talk about your reticle choices....

Leupold's TMR reticle is fabulous. I have it on two of my long-range rigs. The cross hairs don't actually touch in the center. This means the reticle will never cover-up a small target at longrange. Also, the hash marks are in .5mil

There are currently two companies that make MOA reticles and that is Nightforce and Vortex. Sightron is about to release them.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

As sscoyote outlined, but you have a B&C RETICULE. I refered you to other post. I have low prfile cds turret and b&C ALSO. I dial of the last hash, for 600+ shots w/ dope on rifle, quick shoot to 550. I use 200 zero, you can use whatever zero you want.The drops on next cross hairs are moa 2.19,4.8,6.26,post 7.82 large delta,refer to manual for small delta. I have several different leupolds.