Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Leupold question

I have a VX3 4.5x14x50LR with the Boone and Crocket reticle and I called Leupold's Custom Shop today to see if I could switch out the turets for the CDS one's. The guy said send us the money, the scope, and we will take care of it. I would love to sell this scope and buy a NF, but I am spending the money first on truing up my rile, and switching out a few things.

So the question goes, I was woundering if anyone out there has done this, or already has the CDS turets on their scope. If so, how do you like it? Either way.

Second question, which reticle would you go with. I was looking at having it swapped out, for long range hunting/field shooting, and would like to use either the mil-dot, or the regular duplex.

Thanks,

Garett
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold question

I have 2 Leupolds I'm having the CDS turrets installed on to replace the "hunter" turrets. I've heard nothing bad, other than that the click value may be slightly off on some Leupold turrets.

As for reticles, I am leaving the Boone & Crocket on the one scope that now has it. If there isn't time to twist turrets, the Boone & Crocket allows a fast shot that should be close enough for big game hunting out past 400 yards. If you have time to twist turrets the lower lines on the Boone & Crocket can be ignored. If these lines are distracting to you & you don't believe you are "trainable", then go ahead & switch back to a more basic reticle. It's your money.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I just posted to similar below in ''M1 TURRETS" check it out,relates to what you are doing, I have a few cds,with different reticules, like em
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

The leupold Tactical Milling Retical is fantastic, a little easier and more precise at longer ranges as oppes to traditional mil dot, check it out. The CDS dials work, I just wish they would make them in mil adjustments, a no brainer for different loads and using a balistics program.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Silver Member

I have not seen one from Leupold, but I could be wrong, does anyone make a mil-dot style reticle, but in MOA.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Leupold makes the TMR(mil)and mildot(mil) they make m5 and I thinkm3 turrets(mil) but your scope has to start as a mil
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

That is just great. I think I know just enough to mess up a shot about MOA, now I have to learn MIL. There goes the world . Is there any books out there that give a redneck version on how to properly use Mil-Dot for long range shooting. I understand the range estimation use, I would just like to understnad how to use Mil for hold over, and compensating for the wind.