Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Price Fixing/Mandating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2006, 04:56 AM
Bronze Member
Leupold Price Fixing/Mandating?

I have reacently been looking to purchase a Leupold VXIII 8.5-25x50 LRT (Fine Duplex) for a .300 Remington Ultra buildup I am doing. I have noticed that while trying to "price shop" for this scope that EVERYWHERE I look it's $849.99 without exemption. I am talking probably 20 dealers online with the exact same prices. I am certianly under the impression that Leupold is fixing prices on their scopes, or at least mandating to the retailers what they must sell them for. Isn't this illegial??

I have seen them on Gunbroker from one specific individual who is selling this exact same scope for $750 NIB. He also has a good record. How does he get away with it an nobody else does? The only reason I don't snatch it up is because he is in Texas like myself and with sales tax and shipping I would end up paying just about the same if not more.

Does anyone know of any place where Leupolds are a little cheaper? I looked on the sample list and unfortunatly they don't have the exact one i'm looking for either.

Unread 07-31-2006, 05:33 AM
Re: Leupold Price Fixing/Mandating?

Most companies require sporting goods dealers to sign a dealer contract. In this contract it is explained very clearly that we must stick to what we call MAP pricing. This is Min. Advertized Price. If I simply put the price on a tag, it is considered advertized. Any and all print, online and media is the same. I can however sell itmes that are discontinued and factory refurbs at what ever I want. Many companies will have what we call goast online sites that do sell items below MAP. They can not be back tracked by the factory. Understand that making a purchase at a store front from a dealer brings many safety measures and added services not available online. Most dearlers of leupold offer an over the counter warrt., free mounting and bore sighting. In the event that a customer ever has a problem with the item the store takes on the factory. It is our thoughts that any factory that has and protects Min. Advertized Pricing is a high end product.
Unread 07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Common practice and it is legal----been done for years by the big boys in Germany.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 07-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

Email me I might be able to help you out.

demarpaint (at)

Frank D
"A tie is as good as a loss, and no one remembers second place."
Unread 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM

Shoot me an email. We'll get you fixed up!!
Unread 08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

premier use to sell them cheaper, by alot, but dick had loopy over a barrel, then a couple years ago leupold clamped down on him pretty hard, his prices went from 20% lower than anybody to within a dime of cabelas price. when dick passed away leupold cut premier off entirely
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!