Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

"Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII. thats the scope.
NXS and USO are inferior.
Pete"

The S&B is a great choice as well. They are a great scope, no doubt.

USO inferior to S&B??

Well, on the S&B website they have a slogan that sums up the companies attiude.
"See it our way"(I guess that's why they only offer 5 differant PMII models. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
Actually 4.

USO's attitude is that of a custom scope maker. We'll build it YOUR way...sakofan.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

I agree with you Sakofan ...oll Pete must be hittin the crack pie again [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
all three scopes mentioned are great and to each his own but just because US optics will build it anyway you want it reall don't
mean anything to me ..so what you get to pick the tupe ..what the hell ya gunna do put it in your carpenter bags and use it as your new hammer! Don't think so! yes uso has a great choose of reticals but so does Nightforce ...now the SB are a bit more limited ..I now have 2 NXS 5.5x22x50 and getting ready to order a 3.5x15x50 and I would lay money that my NXS is just as clear as
SB. Us Optics may a little edge on them but for the price unless you wanna just through money away go for it! Please don't mis understand me I'm not say USO is a wast of money because they are not ..but you can get damn near the same thing from Nightforce for cheaper and is still tough as nails! not trying to get flamed her but this is just IMHO

Keith Out
Old 10-22-2004, 08:54 AM

Think about this....

S&B ..awesome really awesome but pretty pricy!

USO.. hell only in my dreams BIG $$$ for them...

the NXS is affordable and the optics hang with S&B and USO..
I would go with the 3.5-15 NXS and the R2 ret. Here's why...
proven toughness and reliability.. and with the R2 ret. most times you dont even need to spin the turrets for MEd range or even some long range stuff... the hash markes are 2 MOA .. zero on the top one and you have a long way to shoot without touching the turrets... I used this technique for about a year now and have made hits to 1200 yards with the 300WSM and the 308 is just deadly to about 750!!!

[ 10-22-2004: Message edited by: Ric Horst ]
Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

KAC1345, That's an interesting story about the USO on the .223. I do agree with you, but you have the give the guy credit, he's not shy about putting good glass on a rifle. I see so many shooters purchasing great rifles and putting poor glass on them. What a waste. Good glass makes all the diff. He just needs to consider the application more closely.

--------------------------------------------

Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Steve
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Silver Member

I have to totaly agree with PracTac..that is the biggest problem now days guys spend 3k on a rifle and then 2-300$ on a scope whats the point! I know there are some decent scopes in that price range but nothing stands up tp a Nightforce or SB or even a USO when compared to say a SS or somthing along those lines....it just makes you shake your head and wonder why? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] atleast I can say the poor guy with the HUGE USO on the .223 has a decent scope if he ever builds a gun worthy of it ...or should I say a gun that will use it to its potential.
Keith Out
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Well, I have one more thing to say and I'll let this thread go nite-nite.

I paid $1650 for my SN-3, 3.2-17x44mm, EREK knob, and MOA reticle. I couldn't buy an equal S&B PMII for that price, I don't think.

A NF would have cost close to that. I like NF. Great scope.
I'm not crazy about RFP reticles, but that's me.

People seem to equate USO with big$$$.

That may be true, but I don't see S&B or NF offering a group buy on any of the forums knocking $500 or $600 off their top shelf scopes like JBWII did for us at SH. Again, I only frequent a couple and that statement may not be valid.

Guys, everybody here has gave great advice to the original poster. NF,USO and S&B are all great scopes with outstanding CS dept. and have a loyal following. Any of 3 would make a terrific setup.

Pete, didnt mean to knock the great Schmidt and Bender co, who makes such outstanding optical equipment. Just wanted to spar with you a little...sakofan.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 02:46 PM

SF,

I am not sure if USO has the Zero stop or not but that in itself is a great think NF has...
I am not familiar with USO all that much mostly cause I could get into the Badger Base, Rings and the NF scope for the price of a USO...

I would however gladly swap my 5.5-22 NXS with an Equal USO to try it out though...

but the USO has to have the same options
5.5-22X or comparable the 3-17 might be OK
1/4 min clicks
Lit Ret
Etched Ret.
Zero Stop
and no covers on the turrets

not sure what that USO scope with those options would cost....

The biggest advantage I see with the the NF and the R2 is that you don't always have to use clicks if you know you cartridges performance ...