Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 AM

Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

I am gathering pieces of equipment for some medium to long range shooting/hunting. Would like to be able to "click" my scope to whatever yardage out to around 1k.. On the scope purchase, money is not an issue, I'd rather get it right the first time !!
What scope would you guys reccomend for this application ?
Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-19-2004, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold, Nightforce, or ??

Nightforce 5.5x22x56 should do everything you want and more.

Frank D
Old 10-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Frank D. gave good advise, the 5.5-22 is becoming a benchmark scope for superb optics, reliability and toughness. While the 5.5-22 is a great scope, my preference is for the 3.5-15x50 since 15 is about the max we use for field shooting, plus the overall size is much smaller for carrying. I have used this scope on dozens of hunts and it just does the job. Also available in 56mm if you like bigger scopes - I have never had a problem with light transmittion with my 50mm. The 5.5-22 is now also available in 50mm, but I only use my scope on 22 on the bench.
Obviously NXS is a good way to go, but the new long range Leupolds are also tough, reliable scopes. The Nikon tactical has also proved itself on many hunts we do, the 2.5-10's are very good scopes. Also use the bigger 4-16's a lot, great optics and reliable turrets.
For hunting and field shooting, high power is not as important as we might expect. Mirage takes its way with the sight picture, worse as the power goes up. 15-16 seems to be about max where I shoot, even ten is adequate for 1000 yards.
Consider an NPR-2 reticle, or mildots. I would also buy a Scopecoat to protect the scope from dings and dirt.
Good luck, buying the best is a good way to to start off, rather than working up to the topend scopes.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Gold Member

If money is no object, then go all the way with a US Optics SN-3.

You simply can't get a better scope on this planet! EREK knob w/ 1/2 moa clicks, and your all set.

The only draw back to this scope would be it's weight. You really need to be in a stand, blind, or hide of some kind. I wouldnt want to drag this scope around all day.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII. thats the scope.
NXS and USO are inferior.
Pete
Old 10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I think you may be just a little miss informed Nightforce and Us Optice are infearior to Sb ..Please!! explain where you came up with tha ridiculas thought??? both scopes that you mentioned that are inferior have better choice of retical and the glass is just as clear! I don't have a SB but I do have two NXS 5.5x22x50 with the NP-R2 ret and have looked and shot the SB and in my opinion they are nice ..the (Sb) but Way!! overpriced! just IMHO.

Keith Out [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with the 5-22NF with R-2 reticle.Be warned though that you will want one on every gun you own and it can get spendy.I got around this by buying IORs with MP-8 reticles,They are cheaper and can aford to put one on every gun [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]