Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold or Night Force

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Leupold or Night Force

By far the easiest way to see bullet holes on a black target is to rear illuminate the target. Assuming you're shooting paper on a cardboard backing you can place a white cloth (old bed sheet or towel) on the berm behind the target so your line of sight though the bullet hole is in line with the white cloth illuminated by the Sun.

That method works fine for me at distances up to a mile with a 16x40 scope for 7mm bullet holes. It doesn't matter whether the the scope is a Mk4 Leupold or a 16x40 SWFA SS for 1/4. I haven't tried it with more expensive scopes but I doubt any would make a significant improvement.

The diameter of the holes doesn't mater as long as the bullet holes are unobstructed so they're bright. magnification is only needed resolve the >spacing< of the bullet holes. Enough magnification to resolve the diameter of the hole is not required. It's like looking at a star in the sky at night. No visible star has an apparent diameter even close to 1 arcsecond. A normal human naked eye can resolve about 1 arc-minute. that's ~1" at 100 yards, so a 10x scope should resolve about 0.4" at 400 yards or 1" at 1000 yards. By resolve that means you can detect that it's not just one hole. Of course mirage (atmospheric scintillation) will reduce the resolution. The wavefront and image quality is distorted before it reaches the scope and no lens design will fix that. Active optics theoretically could, but no commercial rifle scope has that.

What's important is that a bright dot on a dark surface is far easier for the eye to detect than a black dot on a white surface or any other combination.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

LouBoyd,

We won't be back lighting our target birms because we don't have target birms. We shoot in a 1/4 mile long gravel pit at targets on stands with carboard backing. every now and then, when the atmospheric conditions are right, I can make out bullet holes on black paper at 200 and 300 yds with my Monarch 5-20. If there is over cast skies, I cannot see the holes and rely totally on a range card. We'll see what the better glass of the Leupold does. Thanks for your input.

Crusty Buck
Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

The farthest back stop at my local range is 427 yds. I print up my own white targets on my printer. If there is no mirage, I can count the bullet holes of a 25 cal bullet with my 5.5-22 NXS. If any mirage kicks in, I can not see them or 308 cal holes.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

MontanaRifleman,

When mirage is involved, all bets are off I sat at the bench this evening under a beautiful fall sky and was able to pick up 308 holes at 200. Still at 300, they were hidden. My 300 target is back in the shade a bit, so maybe the Leupold 8.5-25x50 LRT could have made them out in the sunlight? Again, we are talking black target fields with a blaze dot. I called my favorite Italian retailer tonight and they are working with me on a special order Night Force 8-32x56 Precission Benchrest scope. Do you know anything about then, other than the glass comes from Japan?

Crusty Buck
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Buck View Post
MontanaRifleman,

When mirage is involved, all bets are off I sat at the bench this evening under a beautiful fall sky and was able to pick up 308 holes at 200. Still at 300, they were hidden. My 300 target is back in the shade a bit, so maybe the Leupold 8.5-25x50 LRT could have made them out in the sunlight? Again, we are talking black target fields with a blaze dot. I called my favorite Italian retailer tonight and they are working with me on a special order Night Force 8-32x56 Precission Benchrest scope. Do you know anything about then, other than the glass comes from Japan?

Crusty Buck
Buck,

I have no experience with the Benchrest Scopes. I imagine the glass is the same as the NXS. Best way to find out would be to call or email NF. I probably will pick up a 12x48 NXS to serve double duty as a varmint rifle scope and as a spotting scope.

Good Luck!

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

MR

I called NF today and they assured me that I would be able to see holes out to 400, but that was with the 12-42x56 in the precision br. I figured if I saw them at 200 with the leupold 25, I should see them at 300 easily with the NF 8-32x56. The NF 12-42 is nealy $500 more than the 8-25 Leupold.Your NXS is by far a better scope than the NF Precision Benchrests.

CB
Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Buck View Post
MR

I called NF today and they assured me that I would be able to see holes out to 400, but that was with the 12-42x56 in the precision br. I figured if I saw them at 200 with the leupold 25, I should see them at 300 easily with the NF 8-32x56. The NF 12-42 is nealy $500 more than the 8-25 Leupold.Your NXS is by far a better scope than the NF Precision Benchrests.

CB
That's interesting, the NXS is a more rugged field type scope but I would have thought that the BR's would have the same glass. Maybe not? Or maybe they are giving you a conservative answer?

~ John Quincy Adams