Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Mark 4 vs VX-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold Mark 4 vs VX-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberbeast7 View Post
The Mark 4's and the VX-III's have the exact same glass (per Leupold technical rep). The only difference is the Mark 4 has a double spring erector and a slightly 'beefier' main tube (also per Leupold tech. rep.). I went through the same debate, called Leupold, figured out they were the same glass and decided to get the VX-III with M1 knobs.
I second this. I called the rep as well when I was doing the research a while back.

Here is the link to my old post.

VX-III verse Mark 4

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown

Unread 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

I was in the same situation as the OP and went with the Mark 4 as found one cheaper than a VX-3. If you don't want mil dot reticle then you can usually find much better deals on a VX-3, or even better a VX-III, and send it off to the customshop for M! knobs.

.So if the Mark 4 is a repackaged VX-III ( not Vx-3)...is the Mark 2 a repackaged VX-II? I would love to get a Mark 2 on my rifles, but it seems like there are alotof much better scopes out there in the same price range.
Unread 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

I think there are better glass out there than the leupold the only problem I found was that all those other scopes were about twice the weight. I think the leupold is a decent scope for the weight and price range and the customability. If they would just come out with an MOA reticle and first focal plane they would have it made.

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question ? My vx-3 is a 6.5x20x50 side focus 30mm I have the tall target turrets they told me at leupold that they were water proof so how would it benefit me to order the M-1 turrets? instead of the ones that came with it...
Unread 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

I actually like the target turrets because they have the cover and do not get changed when I am sliding the rifle in an out of the gun scabbard on my quad or in my backpack. I had an issue a year ago where the exposed knobs on another scope got spun when I pulled the rifle from the scabbard in a hurry to take a shot. I made the shot but luckly the deers head was low because I got him right behind the ear instead of instead of the high shoulder where I was aiming. I looked at my windage knob after the shot and it was spun just about the amount I was off.

So, I go with covered turrets when I can. I figure on a long shot where I am going to need to turn the turrets I have time to take the covers off.

SES50

Unread 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, Leupold target turrets are waterproof with the covers off.

The benefit of the M1 knobs is that there are no covers. No cap to lose or crush when you step on it.

Personally, I went with the M1 knobs.

My 280 - Updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question ? My vx-3 is a 6.5x20x50 side focus 30mm I have the tall target turrets they told me at leupold that they were water proof so how would it benefit me to order the M-1 turrets? instead of the ones that came with it...
Unread 08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Im lost on the whole "VX III are practically the same as Mark 4" thing. Not to say it isnt true but I have both and there is a diffrence in glass and over all quality. Maybe I'm just making it up but I like the Mark 4 with M1 turrets alot better than my old VX III. Just my 2 cents.

Ohha and SE50, +1 for "they would just come out with an MOA reticle and first focal plane they would have it made."