Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS

NXS pros: zero stop, best reticles available
NXS cons: Weight
Mk4 pros: Weight, Alumina flip-ups
Mk4 cons: poor reticle selection

The glass is equal between them, and price is ~same class
Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Mikecr,
our exsperiences are very different. we were spotting with two rigs side by side and I was getting much better results as far as clairty and power out of the NF. since they are both EXCELLENT scopes I would have to chalk that up to the users eye.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

I have both, I run both. I love them both. With that said, Leupold has had their head stuck up a dark hole when it comes to reticle selection. It matters not to me if someone want's MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA, but dang it. Give the customer what he wants. You'd think I'd want an all MIL scope because I'm retired Army but I'm an MOA man. Their weird sense of mixing an MOA turret with a MIL reticle is totally beyond me. I talked to Leupold's CS last week and they finally are coming out with a MOA reticle (TS-32 I think) but it's a $160+shipping custom option and only for the 4.5-14 scope line-up. They should have been installing an MOA reticle some 10 years back. I put up with NF's weight because they have incredible MOA reticles and the design, manuf and QC to make sure that their dial ups are spot on. With Shawn Carlock living in Idaho, a state that has a 16 lb, IIRC, weight limit on hunting rifles he might prefer a lighter Leupold but no, I believe he still uses NF. For many of my hunting rifles I use Leupold but for LR, NF!!!

Alan
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

The answer to your question lies with the focal plane, NF does not have much in the way of FFP.......if you want FFP go with a Leupold if second focal meets your needs then go Leupold again .....seriously I run leupolds and my buddies run Nightforce, premier and vortex.......it's a never ending debate and a source of constant ribbing.

I like all my rifles to have the same scope......Leupold Mk-IV M5 6.5-20 TMR FFP, I have four of them and have never had any serious issues......

Oh by the way, I'm not saying all leupolds track perfect but neither do all night forces, the important thing to test both and determine what your correction factor is, btw we recently returned a $3k premier that would not track or return to zero.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post

Oh by the way, I'm not saying all leupolds track perfect but neither do all night forces, the important thing to test both and determine what your correction factor is, btw we recently returned a $3k premier that would not track or return to zero.
There's the difficulty in buying high end scopes for most of us. Even if it gets fixed, by the reputable companies, it just takes all the fun out of it.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Here's the Leupold TS-32X1which is in MOA. $159.99
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS-ts-32x1_reticle-1-.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

The Leupold TMR in an SFP scope will subtend MOA at slightly less than max power and it works great. I actually like the design of the TMR in the Mark 4. Not that I use my reticle for ranging very often. I guess I've come to love the accuracy of a quality rangefinder too much. But it's nice to know if you absolutely must use the reticle.