Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS

I am building a custom 6.5-284 Shihan and will need a new scope. i have a Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm ER/T m1 FFP, do i buy anotherone for the new rifle or should I purchase a Nightforce NXS (like the G7 5.5-22x50 LR).
Any feedback will be appreciated
Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold Mark 4 vs Nightforce NXS

last year I bought a nightforce and the more I use it the more I am determined to never buy leupold anything ever again. I spent so long with a crappy mark 4 that would not return to zero reliably. even a trip back to leupold didn't fix it. the mark 4 was not a cheap scope either. when you have a rifle capable of 1/4 moa at 200 yards you really begin to expose how inferior leupold is. for a serious rifle that I move the turrets on it will never be a leupold again. I don't care about how they changed the springs in the erector and made them twin springs. it is not a nightforce.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Bronze Member

I don't really have any experience with the Mark 4 but NF on the other hand I do and you can't go wrong if you wanna spend the money. I wont own anything other than NF for my LR rifles.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

No contest NXS destroys the mark4!

My friend has both on guns and side by side its easy to see the NF wins.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

I disagree with the Mk4 notions. I've used 8.5x25 Mk4s alongside NXS 22x & 32x for quite awhile, and the Mk4s are superior overall. Same glass, but way lighter than NXS, and Mk4s are actually MOA in adjustment, where NFs are not. Also, the Alumina flip-ups put whatever you stick on a NF to shame.
With the NF, I also run into an optical condition where eyepiece adjustment for focus reduces power a great deal. With this, the 32x NXS, adjusted for my eyes, exactly matches a 25x Mk4 also adjusted for my eyes. My eyes are tested twice a year due to profession, they're average, nothing weird.

I've tested the hell out of my scopes, and it is my Mk4s that are most accurate in adjustment, and zero return.
I do like the services provided by both companies. But my scope choice goes to Leupold Mk4 in second focal plane.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

I have a few each of the Mk4s and NXS/Benchrest NF scopes including a G7. I have used both brands for several years for hunting and LR competition. While I have been successful with both, under difficult conditions of mirage, haze, and low light I would give the advantage to the NF optical quality. The clicks on the M4's are vague and I have actualy lost clicks at spots in the turret revolution range. The only aspect of the NF NXS that i don't like is the bulk and weight when mounted on my lighter, mid range carry rigs. On the other hand, the NF G7 is my clear favorite for LR hunting. The 20 MOA revolution, Zero stop, and the reticle sustention/ design fits my needs perfectly. The ability to order a yardage turret that also has an additional MOA scale at the bottom of the turret is a great feature for more technical LR shooting.
A couple of months ago at a sniper match I had the opportunity to try my buddy's NF ATACR. We had terrible conditions. Haze, mirage, then rain. The optical quality of this scope was substantially better than MK 4 I was using. I would expect it to have been better than my NXS as well. The only thing I didn't like was the reticle substention which was too heavy for my likes. I'm hoping the G7 is produced with this model, or NF comes out with a more reticle choices.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

If weights an issue go Leupold. If not, the Nightforce would be my choice.