Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Leupold mark 4 vs huskemaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Silver Member

Leupold mark 4 vs huskemaw

i have a Leupold mark 4 4.5x14 on my custom 338RUM...i use custom kenton turrets on it...Wondering if the huskemaw is better with their dials, or are they the same...i know the reticle is different... to me the principle is the same but is huskemaw system better and more accurate...should i stay with what I have or upgrade? thankyou
Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold mark 4 vs huskemaw

I don't own either but looked at both recently and the Huskemaw seems like a steep downgrade to me from the Mark 4?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

I've found the opposite, The huskemaw looks clearer to me than the Mark 4 but everyone's eyes are different. The huskemaw comes with 1/3 moa turrets rather than the mark 4's 1/4 moa so that's something to consider. For my money I'd go with the huskemaw. You get a regular turret that's marked in moa's and 1 that you can have marked with a specific load. To me it's win win. Also the huskemaw specific load turret has a zero stop.

The only advantage the Leupold has is their external lens coatings which are excellent and the reticle choices. If youre the person who uses the reticle as you're elevation correction then go with the Leupy.

that's my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Dang, I was hoping to learn more from this question(post). Ive shot the Huskemaw once before and was impressed, but never shot a Leupold at ''long''distance with adjustable turrets.
I love leupold scopes, and own a few, but this is a great question. Boman had some good input. Sorry I cant be more help,but Id like more info on this one too. Thanks for the question Ultramag45. Hopefully there are more replies

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 02-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 PM
SPONSOR

The scopes are different. You would need to consider a 6.5-20 in the Mark 4 to do more of an apples to apples comparison.
I have, like, and use both
The Huskemaw is more slim-line than the Mark 4 with its turret length and is shorter in length than the Leupy.
The Mark 4 has more internal adjustment horizontally than the Huskemaw. For hunting that is not important, but of the other styles of shooting, I wish the Huskemaw had more internal adj for wind.
I will be stretching out the Huskemaw beyond 1K with the 338AX in the future.
I have been shooting 4-shot groups at 100 yard so far that are average sub 1/2 MOA from a bi-pod with my center-grip XP-100 specialty pistol (hunting trigger weight). I have the scope moved back as far as possible which leaves the ocular or the back of the scope more unsupported than would typically be the case with a rifle set-up. The Huskemaw is tracking well and holding zero perfectly

I have shot out to 1800 yards before with a couple of Leupold's with satisfaction.
For field use, I think the Huskemaw has an advantage speed wise for playing with multiple steel targets, since you dial distance and the wind is right there on the turret too, compared to a Kenton on a Leupold.
I also like the Huskemaw better for the reticle design for quick wind doping.

When it comes down to it, get what you desire.
Choose the one that has the features you want and like.
You will find people that will say one brand is junk, and then you will find another group that goes the other way.
Of course, you will find another group that will say both are junk and you need to buy brand "X" (what ever "X" happens to be for them).

I haven't listed all the features of each optic, but some that stood out to me quickly.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

I do not have a Mark 4 but I do have 2 Huskemaw's. I could not be more pleased with them they perform exactly as advertized. For me the big selling point was the reticle, I cosider it leaps and bounds more advanced and user freindly in the field. It would be interesting to have 2 exact rifles set up the same one with the Mark 4 and the other with the Huskymaw.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

does huskamaw offer turrets for different elevation say your hunting several states with the same gun maybe 3,000 ft to 10,000 ft and if so how much do you spend for each one? I can see the speed advantage to the dial & shoot but the bullistic programs you will find enough of a difference at distance to miss or wound if elevations are not considered?