Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 turret covers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 turret covers

I am looking into buying a Mark 4 LR/T M1 and I have a couple questions. Do they make turret covers or are the turrets always exposed? Next question, if they do not have covers have any of you guys had problems with the turrets getting caught on backpacks, scabbards, brush, etc. and changing the zero? Thanks for your input
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 turret covers

This is a question I'd like to know the answer to also. Haven't found any on the Leupold website.

I did find this on the site though:

Exclusive to the VX-7™, just give the SpeeDial™ adjustment dials a half turn, and each smoothly slides outward for adjustment. Knurled for an easy grip, they offer 20-MOA of adjustment per revolution, and even feature unique, field-interchangeable BDC dials. The adjustments are both easy to read and reset to zero, and offer ¼-MOA, finger-adjustable clicks for absolute precision. Once set, simply push the adjustment dials back in place and give a turn to close them. Additional turns will lock the dials in place for secure adjustments; the integral cap provides a highly secure stow position. The titanium nitride/stainless steel adjustments offer incredibly tight tolerances and near perfect engagement of the interior surfaces of the windage, elevation, and parallax adjustment dials. The result is incredible precision, as well as the outstanding strength and durability needed for a lifetime of repeatable accuracy

Maybe the turret movements are stiff enough that they won't accidentally move due to pulling it out of a scabbard, or case, or ran against the seat of a pickup. But I've seen two different people miss easy game shots due to an accidental rotation of the windage or elevation knob. One was using a new Nikon, the other an old Weaver. Neither person knows how it happened, just that it "was way off".
Old 12-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

The Mark 4 M1 Turrets do not have covers. I have no field experience using them, but have not received any negative feed back on the turrets turning.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Just so you know while they come with the high target turrets you can get them changed out at the custuome shop and they could replacewith target units that you can put a cap over to seal it up tight. Please check there custom shop.
Good luck ben
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Hello, and to answer you second questin we have had no problems with our m1 tarrets with wind, water or branches affecting them they are very good, but as state earlyer if you want to get covers you can change out you high turretts for some target style and they will have large caps over thr targer turretsso you will have know need to worried. Thank ben
Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

Hey fellas thanks again for the input. I'll probably order one and give a try.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Which MK4 are you looking at?

There is a 4.5-14x40 that has the 1/4 moa covered turrets.

I have never had a problem with any M1's moving without my doing so.

If you are wanting something with a different power range and covered turrets then I would suggest getting a VX3. It would be a waist of money to buy a MK4 and change turrets, when the VX3's are a bit cheaper and you could always "upgrade" turrets (and even reticle) and still come out ahead.